M14 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Hope all is well. I won a Black Dawn 300BLK w/12" SBR at a benefit for an Officers family that was killed on duty. I have been looking at all the rules and regs. for this type of rifle. I am looking forward to maybe having this rifle by Christmas. It is going to be a long wait. Has anyone ever filed a 5320-20 Temp relocation? I am wondering how long it takes to get it back. I may have a temp job in another state and I would need to time the return trip and back so I would be in compliance. What would happen if you car broke down on the way back and it took a few days to get the part? Would you have to stick around long enough to mail another one in? It just seems like a pain in the butt. One last question, If I wanted to install a 16" barrel upper to travel with and leave the 12" in the safe would I need to file a 5320-20 since the lower is the part that is registered? Any info that someone could give me would be appreciated. Thanks,Daniel

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Greetings,

IANAL! So, please look up the specifics at both the BATF site and you home state/whatever other state you may be traveling to. Keep in mind that the NFA item must be legal in the state you register it in AND any state where you intend to travel with it.

That said, if it were me I'd try to keep it simple. As in, if you relocation is going to be of a temporary nature, leave the SBR in your home state where it is registered. Options may include a safe that only you have the combo to, safe deposit box, etc.. I believe the regulation states that YOU must maintain control over the NFA item; that would be satisfied by the above.

My understanding is that if you install a 16" barrel to a registered SBR, the NFA regulations no longer apply, even though the lower is the serial #'d component that is on your tax stamp.

From what I hear, the from 1s, 4s, etc. are running well over 6 months. You need to read up on the temporary transfer thing; I recall reading that was a "suggestion" or something to that effect, not a requirement.

Please don't take my word on anyone elses' call BATF and they should be able to assist if you can't make sense of the data at their web site.

Regards, Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.