M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently lost a family member that left me an m1a. I live in California and I was wondering about any legal issues I might run into. I will post the number when I get a chance but if he was correct its late 60s and all original parts. Not sure how he got it or if its even ok to own. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Welcome to the forum, You need to be careful posting on the Internet with pics of guns that maybe illegal. I don't think m1a's are but may depend on what mags you have for it or what kinfpd of stock its in. The first thing to do is to look at the heel stamp and see who made it, Springfield armory, TRW, HR, Winchester, ect. If its Springfield armory inc. than you can call their customer service and give them the number that is stamped on the heal and they will tell you when it was manufactured and how it left the factory.

You should check the laws of your state or ask some of the fellas here about m1a's/m14's in California.

·
Premium Member
5,345 Posts
welcome to the forum from central MS. Condolences for your lost family member.
you will generally finds very good advice here.....with the questions you are asking, local information is always best

·
Super Moderator
3,704 Posts
Welcome [from Roswell, GA] to the forum and sorry for your loss - I have two generations of rifles/pistols that came from my Grandfather and Father after passing! I cherish those rifles/pistols [they all have stories and are from an era passed] and show them off all the time!

Do your research [figure out what you have], learn about the M14/M1A from all the excellent information on this site and enjoy that M14/M1A [whatever version it is you have].

Welcome - M1Army

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the warm welcome and the condolences. Im not 100% because information on the gun is very limited due to date from Springfield armory. It sat in his safe for well over 20 years so it in great condition and before he passed he had only fired it one time when he purchased it.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
M14ar15:

Welcome to the forum. You will find a wealth of information and folks willing to step-up to help out here.

Sorry that you live in an extremely restricted state when it comes to firearm ownership. I sincerely hope that you gather the pertinent information which will allow you to keep and shoot that fine rifle in CA.

Best regards,
D1

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a little update on my search for information. If im correct the gun is what people here refer to as a load m1a. I was worried because of all the messages I received about it from others on this forum but after having my family take it to a local gun smith he told them its a very rare find but perfectly ok to own. Just needs some slight mods if im going to have it brought to me In California. Ill post pictures of it when it gets here. Im really into old military guns and this one made my jaw drop.

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
Wait till you get her on the range. M14s, or an M1A if made by SAI, are natural pointers.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,298 Posts
California laws are very specific when it comes to what is legal for an M1A. Any M1A that is not registered with the CADOJ cannot have a flash suppressor, folding or collapsible stock, pistol grip or even a thumb hole stock. Newly acquired M1A type rifles cannot be registered so they must be in compliance when purchased or imported to California.

Inherited rifles must comply with the above. Registration is not transferable if the rifle is registered. Inheritance issues can be researched on the CADOJ web site.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ted thank you for the information, the gun has what I would call a standard stock on it. The only thing thats seems out of place is the flash hidder. Any suggestions on a good California compliant muzzle brake?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.