·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon,

I'm totaly new to the M14 platform, however I just purchased a rifle is marked:

US Rifle 7.62mm M14SA FED ORD. INC SO EL MONTE, CA. S/N 22XXX

I have several questions:
1st - I would love to shoot it, but before doing so what do I need to know.
2nd - I have read a little about headspace, how can I determine if my rifle is Ok to shoot?
3rd - Through reading I understand that it may have chinesa part, if so what would those parts be, and how can I Identify them? I would like a USGI rifle.
4th - Would this rifle have been GI issued/carried?
5th - Where can I find extra mags?
6th - What would be a good bullet weight to start off with?
7th - Any good reading material on the M14
8th - Any members in the Northern Kentucky Greater Cincinnati Ohio area that would have the knowledge and willing to work with a newbie.

Coppercollarworker

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm a rook myself, so I'll take some of the EZ ones:

5. Extra mags - the consensus is to stick with Checkmate (CMI) mags, which are USGI as far as I know. These guys here: http://www.44mag.com/ offer them. Before I landed here I picked up mine from Dillon. They're not all that more expensive than other mags out there (so called "GI style")- and worlds more reliable from what I read. I've never tried anything but CMI mags.

6. 147gr is the weight of the surplus ammo I've got, seems as good a place as any to start. ;) From what I've seen of the fancier Match ammo, bullet weights run higher, like 168 grains. The better to buck the wind at longer ranges as I understand it.

There are good deals on German DAG ammo out there, but be aware that some of it (particularly 1993 production) may have some corrosion. Safe bet is to open up the pack and the boxes and examine them and then store them in an ammo can or something.

Also some Radway Green surplus ammo in 4-round links out there. De-linking is pretty easy, there are posts on here about it.

7. Scott Duff has an Owners' Guide which I've yet to get myself, but many have said it is THE book on the M14.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

1. A friend of mine has a FedOrd, we have replaced the barrel so far due to excessive head space. If you have a USGI bolt your better off. Look on top on the bolt to see if there is any numbers or letters. Take some pictures and post it here. FedOrds are ok, If you have to line them up I think it towards the bottom, but that is only my opinion.

2. Take it to a smith and have the headspace checked out. More than likely the head space is probably set to NATO specs.

3. On the parts there should be numbering and letters finds those and post it some can help you out with those numbers and letters. You could have all USGI parts, I think FO made some rifles with USGI parts.

4. I would say NO, but I could be mistaken.

5. CMI Mags from 44mag.com
6. Between 147 & 175 Good idea NOT to use commercial .308 ammo. Find some NATO ammo, like the German DAG. Winchester makes 7.62NATO ammo as well with other manufactures.
7. Go to the "Gun Professional" section of the forum and read some of the post there by those guys.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Welcome to the Club
All the questions have been answered
The only thing I can Add Stock up on as Much Ammo as you can and Enjoy

·
Registered
166 Posts
Pictures of every piece that has a number on it would enable the experts
here to tell you "exactly" what you have.

That would be the receiver, barrel, operating rod, bolt, trigger housing and
trigger.

Welcome aboard!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.