M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning Everyone,

First off, I screwed up making my username by accidentally putting my email...so don't send me junk mail! hahaha But, now that I am working from home I wanted to take some "work" time to discuss my newest rifle.

I graduated from college last May and wanted to get myself something to celebrate, so I got a Springfield M1A loaded in 6.5. Man was/am I stoked. I absolutely love the rifle and the more I shoot it I just get excited to keep honing it in.

I wanted a rifle that can easily poke something out past 500 yards but has enough utility to handle anything under that. All the research I have done about the rifle gives me reassurance that I made a good pick! However, if I were to do anything (and I want to!), it is to get the trigger down to around 3 lbs of pull.

Has anyone had/done work on their M1A triggers and have advice?

·
Administrator
17,193 Posts
Now you have made a good decision in registering here and most definite you came to the correct place to learn more about the M14 Battlerifle and military surplus ammunition for her nutritional dietary needs, welcome on board and enjoy the site and I hope you post often benjamin.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Welcome aboard! You can probably contact 'site help and support' to get a different username set up if it's possible.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
There is another site you may be interested in, . . . www.m14br.com, . . . as well as on here, . . . there are lots of knowledgeable folks there.

You made a good choice, . . . although I prefer 7.62 x 51, . . . but that's only choice and not "expert advice".

I've heard lots of good words on the 6.5, . . . just sitting back watching to see where it will wind up.

Welcome aboard, . . . and have fun.

Have you bought your progressive reloader yet??? (lol)

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
However, if I were to do anything (and I want to!), it is to get the trigger down to around 3 lbs of pull.

Has anyone had/done work on their M1A triggers and have advice?
The M1/M14 trigger, as designed, is not safe below 4.5 lbs. Below that, smacking or dropping the rifle could make it fire. Most smiths will just smoothen and even out the contact points, giving you a nice crisp let off.

There are some aftermarket modifications available, but I'm not sure how low they can go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The M1/M14 trigger, as designed, is not safe below 4.5 lbs. Below that, smacking or dropping the rifle could make it fire. Most smiths will just smoothen and even out the contact points, giving you a nice crisp let off.

There are some aftermarket modifications available, but I'm not sure how low they can go.

I have heard that, the only thing I would be worried about is getting the pull low enough where the recoil might cause it to double fire. But, really I want it to a precision rifle so I am less concerned about it. I would think around 4 or just shy of 4 would be safe.

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
I have heard that, the only thing I would be worried about is getting the pull low enough where the recoil might cause it to double fire. But, really I want it to a precision rifle so I am less concerned about it. I would think around 4 or just shy of 4 would be safe.
The problem you will encounter is that M14 gunsmiths know about the 4.5 rule and won't go below it. RNGR2

·
Forum Jester
6,918 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,244 Posts

·
Forum Jester
6,918 Posts
the good stuff. where in nc? brother lives in monroe and friend lives in snow hill

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Welcome from the So CA desert

·
Registered
290 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin

1 - 20 of 23 Posts