M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am a retired Navy guy here. After traipsing around the world for 24 years, I was finally able to relax and start my collection. I live in Florida with my family, daughter in college and son in middle school next year. I am an avid shooter and just acquired my first Scout M1A from my father who recently passed away. I inherited a few of his items to include the scout and the entire cache was split between myself and my 2 brothers. He was Marine veteran of Okinawa in WWII and Korea. When I was younger, he taught me how to shoot, and more importantly how to shoot the M1 Garand, Enfield and of course the M1A. I have my dad's M1A scout which I inherited and I am looking to upgrade it with a scout scope. I purchased a decent Vortex scout scope for trial work and I am trying to find a decent set of rings to go with it. I like Burris, and if possible I would love a 1" low mount quick connect style, but I am lost when it comes to scopes. I never had to use them in the Navy and I would like to learn, especially with the scout and his Remington 700. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
Scout Squad AA9126
765 Posts
Welcome.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Welcome from Texas. Condolences for the passing of you dad. Thanks for your and his service.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Welcome, and condolences. It may not be the way you wanted to get an M1A, but can do your dad proud.

You may want to repost your question about scopes to one of the other areas. The amount of knowledge here is astounding. Plenty of the members are glad to help others. Not sure, but there may even be a pinned entry with scoping details.

The assembly/disassembly and care/maintenance videos by member/moderator tonyben are top-notch! They are good for both those new to the M14/M1A and those with experience; he has some great tips & tricks. They are free, even though they would be well worth paying for.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Welcome. The word of the day for you is Night Force. Especially on that 700. Put the best Night Force scope on there you can afford. I would put the ATACR in 5x25 or 7x35 on the rifle.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome from Mississippi!
Another option for scope is rear mount. Only reason I mention it is that I went through that process on a Scout and a Socom. Couldn’t get happy with forward mounted optics but some people like them.

·
Forum Jester
8,251 Posts
where in fla?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome. The word of the day for you is Night Force. Especially on that 700. Put the best Night Force scope on there you can afford. I would put the ATACR in 5x25 or 7x35 on the rifle.
Oh, Night Force is nice. I would love to able to afford one of them! My last command there were stickers and hats for nightforce equip everywhere... I will check it out though! Thank you!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts