M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Found this forum through Facebook. New here, and new to the M1A as of a few weeks ago.

Purchased a Springfield M1A used (practically new), and am looking forward to spending lots of trigger time with her!

Ultimately, I want to compete in service rifle competitions, maybe even make it to Camp Perry one summer, but I have to work on that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yep- ammo is important. A good place to go is Sniper Central- they have some nice write ups on ammo.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NorCal. Next recommendation is to buy magazines now, lots of them. CMI mags through 44 Mag, a site sponsor, are the best deal out there.

In the meantime, have a good time wandering through the years of threads and getting to know the great folks who hang out here. If you cannot find the answer to a question, ask, someone will step up with the info.GITEN

·
Retired
4,820 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NorCal. Next recommendation is to buy magazines now, lots of them. CMI mags through 44 Mag, a site sponsor, are the best deal out there.

In the meantime, have a good time wandering through the years of threads and getting to know the great folks who hang out here. If you cannot find the answer to a question, ask, someone will step up with the info.GITEN
Yes, he took the words right out of my mouth,(or should I say "keyboard?).
Buy ammo, CMI mags from .44Mag.com, and get it out to the range and enjoy that great rifle!!!!GI1

·
Registered
526 Posts
Welcome from Idaho!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Greetings from another newbie to the platform!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Welcome from Central Florida! Glad to see that you already have goals in mind....your M1A will be there for ya always...

·
Registered
162 Posts
You made my day. We need more people here interested in High Power. The M1A was top dog for a long time, but most have turned to the easier to shoot AR-15. Don't listen to people that say the M1A can't compete. It can shoot across the course just as well, but most people cannot shoot them because they are less forgiving of poor positions, and recoil recovery in rapid fire strings. Almost no one buys match ammo to shoot HP. You will likely decide that making your own match ammo is the way to go. This is the internet home of the M14/M1A with well known service team armorers, and experts of Gus Fisher, Art Lupinno, and John Wolf to name a few, but the internet home of High Power competition is the National Match Forum http://www.usrifleteams.com/forums/ . As a new HP competitor you should be a member there too. The NM forum is dedicated to the competitive service rifle, and match rifle community. Find a CMP/NRA club near you that shoots monthly HP matches, and dive right in. Everyone is friendly, and they will help you in anyway they can. The best way to learn this game is to shoot as many matches as you can. Go for it.

Reactions: CommanderDave

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
CommanderDave, Welcome from the Midwest.

Go to Camp Perry as soon as you can. I went in 2010, showed up, had a great time, met several forum members. I was as green as spring grass, didn't matter. Everybody helped point me in the right direction and made allowances for this newbie.

·
Registered
16 Posts
*waves* from...guess it's San Francisco today... welcome!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.