M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I'm new to the forum and just ordered a Socom 16. I have a few questions about the gun. My local gun shop told me that they can't give me an approximate month when it will arrive. I contacted SAI and they couldn't give me much all they said is somewhere between 3-6 months but "probably not that long". Has anyone recently ordered and received their new rifle and about how long was the wait. I am a volunteer sharpshooter for my county forest preserve deer management program. We started out using .223 but got permission to use .308. I always wanted a m1a and fell in love with the look of the socom. Can anyone tell me if the socom is capable of tight groups? The qualification for all of the sharpshooters is 5 shots into a 1.9" circle at 50 yards using an optic. Any comments or info is greatly appreciated. Thanks for you help and allowing me to be a part of your forum.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Can you give us info on your mission parameters.

Include typical target size and distance please.

You putting up some red flags as the socom is not a great option for a sharpshooter.

While you may be able to get a socom shooting that well. The groups open up greatly. So you may qualify but if you have to make a precise long shot the socom isn't made for accuracy.

If you drop into a sage chassis and find a good load it would work. It will be heavy.

Will you be shooting at poachers or what? I've never heard of a volunteer sniper.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Will you be shooting at poachers or what? I've never heard of a volunteer sniper.
They don't let the "Evil Hunters " thin out Deer populations. They Bring in "Expert Hunters" to Kill them off and thin the heard!

Reactions: Circlehook

·
Premium Member
4,904 Posts
Welcome to the forum from central MS. I have a shooting buddy who has a Socom and it will shoot relatively straight, he like it for hogs in tight thickets.. I have never owned a Socom nor shot one. All My M1A rifles are standards or extra heavy match rifles....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The county I live in has a deer over population and possible CWD problem in the forest preserves and they have certified volunteer sharpshooter to cull a predertiminded amount of deer in the parks. The only reason hunters are not allowed is because brain samples are taken to see if any deer in the area have CWD (chronic waste disease) as they have tested positive in surrounding counties. I have passed the state qualification shoot which is 5 shots at 50 yards into a 1.9" circle. I an currently shooting a rock river .223. Rules say that the rifle in question has to be a .223 or .308 with a scope of your chose as long as you can qualify. The shots that are allowed to be taken can not exceed 50 yards. With a .223, only neck shots are allowed but if shooting a .308, neck and shoulder shots are allowed. I'm looking to the .308 for more options as the deer do not always present a good neck shot. The RRA I'm shooting now has a 16" barrel and the socom has a little over 16" if I'm not mistaken. Thanks for your input so far

·
Registered
823 Posts
You should have gone with the scout. The socom will put a kill shot on a deer at 100-150. The scout would shoot further. I don't think an ethical hunter would be shooting over 100 though.

Edit: if the only allowed shots are 50 or closer the SOCOM will serve you well. I'd suggest running the 165 grain Sierra outbacks. MY SOCOM loves those rounds. Buy yourself a nice USGI fiberglass stock to drop it in, get a sadlak spring guide, and you should be good to go. I'm curious as to what sort of optic youre looking at running.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
The county I live in has a deer over population and possible CWD problem in the forest preserves and they have certified volunteer sharpshooter to cull a predertiminded amount of deer in the parks. The only reason hunters are not allowed is because brain samples are taken to see if any deer in the area have CWD (chronic waste disease) as they have tested positive in surrounding counties. I have passed the state qualification shoot which is 5 shots at 50 yards into a 1.9" circle. I an currently shooting a rock river .223. Rules say that the rifle in question has to be a .223 or .308 with a scope of your chose as long as you can qualify. The shots that are allowed to be taken can not exceed 50 yards. With a .223, only neck shots are allowed but if shooting a .308, neck and shoulder shots are allowed. I'm looking to the .308 for more options as the deer do not always present a good neck shot. The RRA I'm shooting now has a 16" barrel and the socom has a little over 16" if I'm not mistaken. Thanks for your input so far
Socom will be fine and I think you'll like her. As far as the wait, that is kind of up to your dealer and their wholesaler network.

My Socom seems to like the Sierra 165HPBT Game King as others have stated. I get 2.5-3 MOA groups shooting off of a bench bone stock/irons. Very effective bullet. Just like anything else, you will get more potential handloading for these.

Let us know when you get it and give a full range report. If you want to do any tuning, take a look around here. We've got some pretty accomplished shooters that have really made their 16"ers sing. Just do one modification at a time after getting your baseline and evaluate before changing anything else.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I forgot to add, first thing you need to do is drop it into a USGI fiberglass or nice tight walnut stock. This will help your accuracy out tenfold, and also yes hand loading is good but if you don't have the means for that the 165gr game kings will do just fine.

·
Registered
553 Posts
welcome from the FREE state of TEXAS!
If you don't want to wait, I saw a SOCOM, a scout, A loaded, and a standard on the
wall at GT distributors Austin TX store. They have stores nationwide.
Reasonably priced too!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guy for everyone's input I will definitely look into a new stock. I'm not exactly sure what ammo we are required to use because I only handled .223 ammo but if I remember right I saw a box with "TAP" but not sure what grain. As for a optic I'm either gonna go with what the officers have on their DPMS 16" AR's or I was looking at a Nikon M-308 4-16 power. If you have any suggestions please fell free to let me know. Shots are limited to 50 yards and I would not feel comfortable taking anything over 100 for I do want a quick and humane kill. The longest Shot I took with a .223 was 75 yards and was approved by an officer before I took it.
Just to clarify we do not waste any meat all deer that are harvested are processed and donated to food pantries around northern Illinois.
Any input is welcomed. Please share

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
The socom was the first m14 type rifle I bought. what sold me on it as a 20 year old was how cool it looked. ive owned many m14's since but haven't gotten another socom since that first one. A lot of guys here love them however I personally prefer a slightly longer barrel 18'' and 22'' are my flavors. I don't know if a socom would be the best choice for your application as it sounds like its gonna be a working gun and you might need the capability to really reach out there and a 22'' loaded would do a much better job. seeing how its only on order I would bet (if you decided to change your mind) that you could change the model. Either way welcome to the forum and im looking forward to seeing pics of that rifle when you get it

·
Registered
286 Posts
Good morning and welcome to the forum. ALOT of sound and solid information here...
You mentioned the NIKON M308 4x - 16x.
1. I'm a Leupold addict myself however, a good friend of mine has the Nikon M308 on his S&W M&P 10. Out of the box, I believe the BDC is set for a 168 grain bullet, BC set around match ammunition and running at 2680 FPS on the velocity.
2. For the application parameters I've read here, I would use a lower power scope providing a larger field of view and potentially a quicker sight in on your target (than a higher powered one).
3. The brightness factor in Nikon scopes seems to be very good. I don't know what your lighting conditions will be (dawn/dusk?) and would factor that in when choosing. There are several 2.5x - 8x scopes (Leupold) which would fit the bill; AND, a Leupold VX-R Patrol Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 1.25-4x 20mm 1/10 MIL Adjustments Illuminated FireDot SPR Reticle for your application. Bright and quick to acquire.
Just some thoughts... good luck on your hunt.
BN

·
Registered
823 Posts
Good morning and welcome to the forum. ALOT of sound and solid information here...
You mentioned the NIKON M308 4x - 16x.
1. I'm a Leupold addict myself however, a good friend of mine has the Nikon M308 on his S&W M&P 10. Out of the box, I believe the BDC is set for a 168 grain bullet, BC set around match ammunition and running at 2680 FPS on the velocity.
2. For the application parameters I've read here, I would use a lower power scope providing a larger field of view and potentially a quicker sight in on your target (than a higher powered one).
3. The brightness factor in Nikon scopes seems to be very good. I don't know what your lighting conditions will be (dawn/dusk?) and would factor that in when choosing. There are several 2.5x - 8x scopes (Leupold) which would fit the bill; AND, a Leupold VX-R Patrol Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 1.25-4x 20mm 1/10 MIL Adjustments Illuminated FireDot SPR Reticle for your application. Bright and quick to acquire.
Just some thoughts... good luck on your hunt.
BN
I second this. No need for X-ray vision on a 50 yard shot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for everyone's info I am seriously taking into consideration everyone's input. I can see the gentlemen on here have more knowledge on the M1A platform than I do. We shoot from later afternoon well into dark. I will definitely research more into the optic that was mentioned. I am now leaning toward to scout either way I will own both in the future, I can guarantee this will not the the last M1a I will purchase. I just want to thank everyone for the welcome and the input. Your suggestions did not fall on deaf ears.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Don't buy anything but ammo until you get the rifle. See what it shoots best, use the search function on this sight for a good starting point. IMHO at 50 yards an optic just gets your cheek weld messed up and really gives you no advantage on accuracy over the std. peep. I would practice qualifying with irons and see how you do. You could add an optic later, but if you have good eyes you are not getting any advantage under 100 yds. I don't know what your dept. guidelines are obviously.

John

1 - 20 of 24 Posts