M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to introduce myself to the group, at the suggestion of SixTgunr:

I work for a East Central Missouri, Sheriff's Dept. I have been with them for 32 years. I am our fireams instructor and we just recently acquired 20-M-14's from Govt. Surplus. I have always been interested in the M-14's but never had the opportunity to really "get to know one". Wow, what a piece of machinery. I still have a Colt M-4 that stays close to me but I have the M-14 close and available, too.

Where can I get and/or which is the best basic repair/maintainance manual to have. I have the Marine Corps. manual for the AR's/M-16's and surely there is something out there that is similiar for the M-14's.

I not looking to do intricate gun smithing...just good maintainance beyond field stripping..Like what if a ejector or extractor breaks..how do you repair it. As I said, I have been trained in repairing AR's and such. I really don't anticipate too many break downs, but would like to be as informed as possible.

Your web site is awsome and I'm looking forward to participating. Thanks for letting me be a part of your group.

Sincerely,

Major Mike Copeland aka/Major Mike

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Major Mike:

Ah, I musta read some of this before... as it sounds very familiar...

In any case, WELCOME ABOARD!!! Your experiences and wisdom will be greatly appreciated!

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
awwwwright......... everyone up against the wall and empty out your pockets...... 8O

Welcome aboard Major Mike! Glad to have ya aboard.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Ditto Mike ...

If ya don't mind I am going to copy and paste your question to me in here so that others can see it as well and maybe add thier two cents here.

Again ... "Welcome Aboard" .... :wink:

Six

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
major mike said:
I just finished a tactical course with ten of our folks this past Mon./Tues. that went well. We did have a couple of things though that I hadn't had with AR's. Some primers blew out of the casing. I cleaned out the chambers thoroughly and told the guys to make sure that the rounds in the mags. were all the way to the rear of the mag. Seemed to stop that problem. Would appreciate any advice on the matter. I did about flip out when I shopped for some extra mags. Found some slightly used for $36.
Help us out here gang ...

Six

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Thats about the only drawback on these weapons is the cost of the mags.

I do know that for about that same cost you can get some real super nice mags from Cole Disributing. Most are as new and don't even appear to have ever been locked and loaded ... :wink:

Six

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Never had that problem, although it sounds as though the head spacing might be off. The only other thing that I can think it might be is a weak oprod spring, but that usually causes short stroking. Anybody????

·
Registered
39 Posts
20 m14s in your department? man i wish i was in missouri and you guys needed a 54 year old rookie. did you guys purchase them or is it some govt lend /lease deal? curious to know the facts as to how your department got them. were you shooting surplus or 308 winch? would sure check the headspace so you can rest easy as to maybe a clearance problem. nobody wants to eat a bolt. are these full auto by any chance?

·
Banned
611 Posts
with those popped out primers what kind of ammo were you using? If you are handloading, some police depts do that, then you might want to get with us on here about it. A bunch of us here are handloaders for the M-14. was it doing it on just one rifle or all of them. one rifle would lead me to a headspace problem maybe but more than one probably ammo. Give us some more details. I don't see where tapping the mags would have an effect on blown primers. We always hit the mag on our helmet a couple times in the service with M-16 and M-14 rifles but it wasn't for that. Sometimes a bullet tip would get caught on the front of the mag and jam. sometimes you get mud or seawater and sand in my case in it and it will tap a lot of it out if you have to use it in a hurry. It was just a habbit everyone has. one police department down here I heard was having problems with commercialy remanufactured ammo. I hope that is all your problem is but let us know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Blown out primer

Sorry for the delay in responding, been gone doing some more training.

As to the ammo, it was new American Eagle, 150 gr. fmj bt. The only thing that we could think us was the head space. Excuse my ignorance but what kind of problems could this cause, besides feeding problems. Someone mentioned about bolts blowing out...that would be a hallelujah momement!

The rifles that we received through the Gov't. program were all new (never fired). Should I have the head space checked on all of them. Again, please excuse my ignorance, I'm new to the M-14's.

Thanks,

Major Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts