M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a socom 16 that I'm trying to drop into a sage stock soon. And i'm trying to decide what kind of optic to pair with it. I might maybe shoot this rilfe out to 300yds at the range, it'll see hunting duty most likely, but most of its life will be spent as shtf weapon . I know the 16inch barrel doesn't exactly make this rifle long range so I'm not going to go invest in a $1500 scope.

I was thinking about getting a trijicon accupoint 3-9x40 but don't really like the fact that I might maybe use the scope once in a blue moon since I don't make it to the range too often. Then I was leaning towards a eotech because I liked the fact I can aqcuire targets quickly if need be, but I would like some magnification. After that I thought well maybe a red dot with a magnifier but I hear that'll be heavy. Then lastly I contemplated an acog. And now I'm out of thoughts.

What are the thoughts of the m14 forum?

·
Registered
112 Posts
+1 on the TR24.

ACOGs might be one of the best combat optics ever designed, but that said, having owned both the 3x and 4x ACOG and then sold them because of the problems I had using them up close, I'd go with one of the many newly available 1-4x scopes, like a TR24, or various other models like the Vortex 1-4 or SWFA 1-4 that have ballistic reticles with holdovers built in.

Once you've used a scope in situations in which time is a factor--like hunting, or with some other moving or thinking target--you figure out that 4x and even 3x is way too much magnification to use under 50 meters. Target aquisition is very slow, esp if the target is moving. Or you are moving, like in a vehicle.

Red dot scopes:
Under 100 meters, Eotechs and aimpoints are muc faster than a 3 or 4x fixed power scope. They are much faster than irons in just about every situation--point blank or very far out. With a dot, it is easier to make hits at long range than it is with irons, because the dot obscures less of the target. You can put a rifle with a dot scope in the hands of someone with no training and they'll be making hits at 300 meters right away.

But dots are not any help in target ID. As for the magnifiers, I've found that they all suck compared to a scope--you are looking through so many layers of glass that the picture is much, much fuzzier, esp in rainy or dirty conditions--there are four layers of wet and dirty glass to look through. I tried running an aimpoint micro with a flip to side magnifier (larue mount) on my AR--it really was sup-par compared to a low magnification scope, so I got rid of the magnifier.

My recommendation--run either a dot (aimpoint or eotech) by itself--beats irons all day long at any distance, and beats a 3x scope under 100 meters, which is where most "practical" shooting is done.

--Or run a low powered scope, like a trijicon tr24 as mentioned above. You probably want the red triangle and post reticle that basically mimics a dot. The TR24s are basically as fast as a dot up close, but can be run at 4x for more precise work at longer ranges.

Downside with the TR24 is that you are going to be guessing your holdovers (just like any scope without a ballistic reticle) at distances over 300 meters.

And--lots of other folks now make 1-4x scopes with ballistic reticles, like vortex and SWFA's SS line (and Leupold). A bit slower than a dot up close (no bright glowing dot to draw your eye) but still faster than irons, and they give you the proper holdovers for running out at 400 and 500 meters.

One of those three would be my choice--either a good dot scope, or a TR24 (fast, but no holdovers) or a 1-4 scope with no dot, but holdovers built into the reticle.

If the Acog was available in a variable power, like 1-4x, it would be the top choice of probably everyone, but it is not.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It is true that the acog sits higher. As far as speed is concerned watch this video about the bindon concept. It really works, I was amazed. I also have a 1-4x vortex. It is a great scope also plus cheaper, heavier, bulkier. Just depends on what you like the best.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mm6ubN08iU[/ame]

·
Registered
52 Posts
It is true that the acog sits higher. As far as speed is concerned watch this video about the bindon concept. It really works, I was amazed. I also have a 1-4x vortex. It is a great scope also plus cheaper, heavier, bulkier. Just depends on what you like the best.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mm6ubN08iU[/ame]

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
+1 on being able to keep both eyes open. This not only allows binocular vision but tactically is a VERY sound practice. Obviously closing one eye negates the ability to have a full field of vision. Sooooooooooooo, depending on the style of shooting that you are preparing for (CQB/SHTF/under 300 yds) a red dot would seem to be the ticket. True over a couple of hundred yards target identification becomes more of a problem, but since there's more distance a secondary optic (binocular, rangfinder) could be employed. Plus I just plain prefer a red dot for most work under 300 yds.

I do have a scout scope type setup on one of my Bush/Scout type rifles, but just haven't spent the $$ on a good quality red dot. I do like the EOTECH field of view vs the Aimpoint, but that's alsojust my personal preference again.

·
Registered
52 Posts
A red dot at 300 yds is 12" about across, that was too imprecise for me. I use red dots on my MP5 type weapons, but I don't shoot those past 100 yds. With the tip of the chevron you can be very precise or use the whole chevron for CQB.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I have two optical devices that i can switch back and forth with for my SOCOM 16.

• Nikon Encore 2.5-8x28mm with a BDC reticle. Reticle has two circles beneath the cross hairs. With the cross hairs zeroed at 100 yards the circles represent 200 and 300 yards.
  • EOTech XPS2-0, 1 MOA aiming dot with a 65 MOA circle

For the SHTF type thing the EOTech would be my choice, but having used it recently on coyotes I can honestly say that while it is perfect for protecting your life it isn't as good as the Nikon for hunting.

With the Nikon QRW style rings and the QR style clamp on the EOTech I can switch from one to the other in about three minutes. While I get a shift in POI I don't worry about it when I go to the EOTech as much as I do when I switch to the Nikon. Since the EOTech will be a minute of what ever I shoot at setup out to about 100 yards I don't care too much about the sighting error. On the other hand, the Nikon scope will be my hunting optic out to 300 yards or so and for that I do fire a few sighting shots after putting the scope on. The change in zero isn't very significant but I would hate to miss that nice elk at 300 yards just because I didn't test fire a few rounds.

You can get the short barreled rifle to be pretty accurate with a scout style scope and the rifle and ammo tweaked to their best performance. I have no problems with keeping my hits at 1 MOA or less at 100 yards and out to 200 I stay between 1 and 2 MOA.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I put an Aimpoint H-1 micro on my new scout and found it to be just too easy to burn up bullets with great results at 100 thru 200 with great results. it drilled everything I pointed it at.
I like its compact size and low mounting, and the quick release mounting option is a plus in my book.
It seemed to be perfect size for its application, and proved to be a good choice for the price. it works very well with both eyes wide open to watch the hits on targets, quite fun. 4 moa not a problem if you turn down the brightness a little.

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
I put an Aimpoint H-1 micro on my new scout and found it to be just too easy to burn up bullets with great results at 100 thru 200 with great results. it drilled everything I pointed it at.
I like its compact size and low mounting, and the quick release mounting option is a plus in my book.
It seemed to be perfect size for its application, and proved to be a good choice for the price. it works very well with both eyes wide open to watch the hits on targets, quite fun. 4 moa not a problem if you turn down the brightness a little.
The dot on the Aimpoint micro is not quite 4 MOA... it's something like 3.75 MOA and I have a T-1 on my Mod 1 for the reasons stated above.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have a nightforce 1x4 that I really like but it only has one holdover point.
Easy to use both eyes and fairly short. FC-2 reticle 2moa dot surrounded by a circle, both illuminated.
Comparable to the Trijicon 1x4 I think, enclosed turrets, fairly simple.....it's becoming one of my favorite scopes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.