M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would post some pics on a separate thread. The rifle has been re-blued, however, for under $600 I thought it was a good buy and I would take a chance and add one to my collection. A few of the screw heads have been buggered up over the years. I will look for some replacements. Disassembled lubed and cleaned. Just need to source some ammo for a test fire. Serial number puts this in 1884 I believe.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Nice.

I really like those old lever actions.

But I just don't understand why someone takes a one hundred year old firearm and tries to make it look new.

I understand the bluing preserves the metal, but in my opinion, some take the re-bluing a bit too far.

The years of handling and the "character" of the firearm is lost.

Now back to your regular scheduled oohing and aahing.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I agree on the character of old firearms that are truly worth it, but sometimes it is warranted. High end places that cost and arm or a leg do outstanding work as well, like Turnbull.

I have few of my Grandfathers firearms, Model 1897, and a Model 12 that need attention and they aren’t going anywhere, and there is no character in what some call patina or provenance in my opinion. They were tools to do a job nothing more.

Sharp looking 1873 that dates to 1884 or so. I’d get a letter from Cody as well if I were you.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Nice.

I really like those old lever actions.

But I just don't understand why someone takes a one hundred year old firearm and tries to make it look new..............
Now back to your regular scheduled oohing and aahing.
Yeah I'm just the opposite. I take brand new Uberti's and try and make them look "old".......[chuckle]

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nice piece. I love the old cowboy lever guns. I’ve been eyeing an 1860 Henry to add to my collection. I’ve got a Rossi 1892 in 357 and an Uberti 1873 also in 357. I don’t count the Marlin 30-30 lol. I’m really glad the modern Henry company decided to finally at the kings side loading gate versus just the tube.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thought I would post some pics on a separate thread. The rifle has been re-blued, however, for under $600 I thought it was a good buy and I would take a chance and add one to my collection. A few of the screw heads have been buggered up over the years. I will look for some replacements. Disassembled lubed and cleaned. Just need to source some ammo for a test fire. Serial number puts this in 1884 I believe.
Gheez! I would have jumped on that, repeatedly. I'm jealous. But hey, happy for you, enjoy man.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts