M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked this up on an impulse]I had never seen another m1a like it so I figured what the heck.

The unique match sights were a major deciding factor.

Upon inspection I found some bubba marks inside of the reciever on both side. Note the bashed up oprod spring guide. I hope bubba fixed the problem. Has anybody seen this before?

Any insight on the F.A.M barrel marking?

Bubbas other mark.

This is an adjustable pinhole apature. It is really nice.

00452x

Any insight on the two holes that are plugged? Those dont bother me as I think these were for done for another type of match sight. What about below the screws was it etched and then dremeled/ welded? I dont know. I wont shoot it until I have my m14 gunsmith buddie looks at it.
I wish I could say I am 100% happy with my purchase but I am kind of worried...This is my first fine for far far from fine gunbroker purchase as for suprises in finish wear and receiver mods. I could recoup my (possible)loss by parting it out if the receiver is done for, but I would rather enjoy it.
What do you guys think?RNGR4
E

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I probably would have bought it too. I'm wondering if the dremel marks near the two screws might be where someone had their name and then "erased" it when it sold. I see this quite a lot on knifes. The bubba work in the front must have had something to do with making a magazine work. I would try a standard spring guide in it and if it works good call it a day. I use a product called tool black that would blend the other dremel marks away. Hard to tell from the picture, but you might have to smooth up that area some first with emery cloth.
I like it. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I am going to Guess that the FAM are the initials of the builder.
I have 2 guns from the 1982 to 1985 period and they both have initials and a date on the barrel in the same place.
I know one is GN Glen Nelson
Still trying to find out who JME USMC is.
Now we have another to add to the puzzle.

Nice looking gun and an interesting conversion instead of the hack jobs you see.

·
Registered
866 Posts
The barrel will be the key in solving who the builder was I believe. Not many folks out there that can take a blank and make all the cuts. I understand Barnette's were Douglas and Obermyer's were 5R rifling. I would think someone from AMU or Quantico would be the one with the talent on this one.
Pfc out

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The 2 screws in the receiver were more than likely the first attempt to mount the sight. They are about the same width as a sight base typical in bolt guns. The sights are nicely done and the dremel work is no big deal. Looks like a nicely modded match rifle that could be reverted in a heartbeat. Basically a shooter.
I think you did good...

Bruce

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I occasionally shoot an older rifle with a lyman sight. Love the sight.

The aperture on that sight can be changed out to your liking.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Prior to the onslaught of the AR15's entering the High Power Match world, the M1A/M14 was the preferred rifle for XC matches/Serv. Rifle class. Long term users wanting to concentrate on the slow fire/Long Range, prone style shooting and liking their rifle would modify as you have. That's a Mid Tompkins front sight and Redfield rear sight(think it is an International model??) and those holes drilled into the left side of receiver were for a rear sight base. With issue sights and elevated some 35 +/- minutes from 100yd zero that aperture is sticking way up in the air and getting good "cheek weld" is difficult. The monte carlo stock design elevating the cheek is to aid in that area. With these mods the rifle can no longer be shot in the Service Rifle class and would have to compete in Match Rifle Class. You mention the adj. aperture and that's probably a Merrit version?? Over the years have shot with others that had their M1A's configured as yours and like the rifle a great deal and rather than going to bolt gun, did the mods. I have seen these rifles turn in some pretty impressive scores at the 600yd. line and when you remember that the triggers are deemed as horrible by a bolt gunner, not bad. No sling swivels so must have been confined to bag/bench style shooting??

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
It looks like a hand stop rail in the stock. Probably for a Dunlap style. Maybe Freeland. The wide match rifle sling would attach to a swivel on the hand stop. You could move the stop forward and back and lock it down with a lever.

I'd bet the rear sight base would be from MCS
(Mo's Competitor Supplies). Used to be 34 Delmar Drive, Brookfield CT. I remember that address because it was embossed on my bolt gun sling and it was RIGHT THERE hanging from my left arm for many years.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Is that a 4 digit serial?

That makes it pretty early right?
Devine?

·
Administrator
17,396 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys I was thinking the Dremel marks on the side of the receiver looked like erasing a name similar to the polytechs I have seen where Bubba would erase 'made in china'.
As for the barrel markings the seller told me it was his deceased father's rifle who was a retired lifer in the Marines.
The gas cylinder was not unitized nor was the action bedded to the stock. I am guessing it has a hand stop rail on the foreground of the stock I will take pics and post more later.
Thanks for the support fellows I feel better about the purchase already.
E

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
The op rod spring guide is one of the early match types that were welded or brazed from two pieces, a section of round rod with a slot cut in the end and the latch fabricated from steel stock and welded or brazed into the slot.

These two piece spring guides were made by many companies/gunsmiths/Bubbas and the quality varied widely. One of the problems with them is that after welding or brazing, the latch was left in a soft annealed condition.

I think that's what you are seeing with yours, the latch was left soft and has been beat up that way by inserting magazines.

Try replacing it with a Sadlak one piece spring guide if it isn't working well or bothers you.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Pretty cool. I always thought about doing this when I shot Service Rifle back in the 90's because I grew up shooting a Winchester M52 B Bull Barrel in an international type thumbhole stock. It had adj hook butplate, Redfield Olympic front and rear sights, a diaphragm rear aperture that you could turn to change hole size (like an old camera lens) and had a long rail under the forend that had a sliding aluminum hand stop with sling swivel. Always thought hum, would make neat rifle to convert M1A to this. Never knew it was being done. Nice thing is human eyes automatically center circles so a sight setup like that works winders. Does it have changeable front sight inserts?

I would have bought that in a heartbeat. Little time spent and you should have a tackdriver. I WOULD bed the action though and unitize the gas cylinder and the other Marine Nat Match mods.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
This looks like weld to me ,probably what ever base that was also using those screws was also welded to receiver.Although maybe only cosmetic damage and not really in a critical area I would inspect that area closely.Interesting rifle,thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It looks like a hand stop rail in the stock. Probably for a Dunlap style. Maybe Freeland. The wide match rifle sling would attach to a swivel on the hand stop. You could move the stop forward and back and lock it down with a lever.

I'd bet the rear sight base would be from MCS
(Mo's Competitor Supplies). Used to be 34 Delmar Drive, Brookfield CT. I remember that address because it was embossed on my bolt gun sling and it was RIGHT THERE hanging from my left arm for many years.
I've seen two similar to yours, both at MCS in Brookfield Ct., probably 15+ years ago.

Years back it was done as mentioned for those who wanted a NRA match rifle without running a bolt or stripper clips.

One was a 308 but the other was a 284 winchester. Both had forend rails, front and rear sight bases to accept popular match rifle sights. One may have had an adjustable buttplate also. I don't know who did the work.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I took her to the range yesterday and with a little adjustment I had her zeroed in for 100 yds. The sights are really nice especially rear aperture. I am happy to find out that she shoots like she should. I was told not to worry about the mark on the side as it was only cosmetic.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts