M14 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sorry man…19 rounds and you are unhappy? 19 rounds? PM me and I will trade you a FR8 with a scope and pay the post. Give it a chance. First post…what were you shooting before this? Not coming down on you but…19 rounds? I thought there were twenty in a box. Go figure.
19 rounds because my other 308 is more fun to shoot and loves the 168 smks just as much. Idk if it was hard to shoot because it was so pretty or if overall I just wasnt too satisfied with it. I think I overhyped it in my head then got it and it was just another semi 308 in to me a less ergonomic platform.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I have news for you Pard ;the "mechanics" of an M14 will long be working after the AR10 is ground into the dust . 100% more reliable. Why don't you do some research (this forum would be a good place to start) and with a little knowledge and insight maybe just maybe someday you can equal in ability what this fine rifle has in reliability ,accuracy human engineering and history. Trust me once you begin to use and learn this weapon you will find all the others wanting

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
The cheekpiece you have is for the M1 Garand. It allows for the offset scopes used on them. You need a riser that comes straight up.

Your scope mount and rings are very high. There are lower, high quality ones available. I use the ARMS #18.

We tease about the GI style bipod because they were designed for full auto fire, not accuracy. Your National Match has every accuracy enhancement possible from the factory. The stock is bedded to exert pressure downward on the barrel the the front ferrule, so that the barrel returns to the same position after each shot. Clamping a bipod to the barrel/gas cylinder negates the features that make a NM rifle so expensive.

The NM rifle leaves the factory with an expectation of 1.5 moa with match ammunition. If yours is shooting better than that, you have a real keeper.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Welcome aboard from E. Kentucky.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I had looked into a few different cheeck pieces but this was just the first one I was able to find. They bipod I got because of the look I did know know the accuracy would be affected. I did know the stock was bedded one of the reasons I went with the nm. I have 3-4 groups all in the .83-.98 size range. I figured that was normal for a factory gun.

The cheekpiece you have is for the M1 Garand. It allows for the offset scopes used on them. You need a riser that comes straight up.

Your scope mount and rings are very high. There are lower, high quality ones available. I use the ARMS #18.

We tease about the GI style bipod because they were designed for full auto fire, not accuracy. Your National Match has every accuracy enhancement possible from the factory. The stock is bedded to exert pressure downward on the barrel the the front ferrule, so that the barrel returns to the same position after each shot. Clamping a bipod to the barrel/gas cylinder negates the features that make a NM rifle so expensive.

The NM rifle leaves the factory with an expectation of 1.5 moa with match ammunition. If yours is shooting better than that, you have a real keeper.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
I had looked into a few different cheeck pieces but this was just the first one I was able to find. They bipod I got because of the look I did know know the accuracy would be affected. I did know the stock was bedded one of the reasons I went with the nm. I have 3-4 groups all in the .83-.98 size range. I figured that was normal for a factory gun.
Sub MOA is exceptional for a National Match. Usually you have to get a SuperMatch to get that low.

Beartooth makes a neoprene cheeckpiece with adjustable inserts. They cost about $22 and work great (no straps, buckles or velcro). The brown one blends in nicely.

If you want to use a bipod, get the adapter that mounts to the stock at the front sling swivel. Just be very careful removing the stock as to not damage the bedding.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts