M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Merry Christmas to everyone!
I couldn't wait on finding a original early style M14 stock for this build. I ended up making a filler for the stock for use of a Garand butt plate. No biggy, it looks like a damaged stock repair. My new T44E4 LRB Arms rifles is done!

I do wish I had some of the rare old parts that were originally used, but that's asking a lot. I modified a bolt lock to the early style and used a gas cylinder without the barrel band boss. I figured the original T44 rifles were all full auto so I installed a dummy selector. The only thing that doesn't look right is the scope mount receiver on the left side. I haven't been able to find out if any T44E4 rifles actually had this feature. It would have been perfect if LRB would have made the receivers with the same machining they used on the left side of their M25.

So anyway, here it is. I like it!

·
"Death From Above"
11,253 Posts
Thanks Ted, looks great! Do any real Te44's exist? I'd imagine Springfield Armory museum might have one.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Merry Christmas, back at ya Ted! Very nice rifle by the way! You can put a Ribon on it and send it this way if you like.DI5

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
That's very nice Ted , great IDEA on the filler .Noticed you chose a half moon crimp ferul stock. Good choice as most pictures of T44 stocks are of that type.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
The only thing that doesn't look right is the scope mount receiver on the left side. I haven't been able to find out if any T44E4 rifles actually had this feature.
T44E4 rifles made by Springfield Armory did not have scope mount hole and keys on the left side of the receiver. T44 receivers manufactured by Mathewson Tool Company did have a scope mount threaded hole and bosses on the left side. In either case, the Test Model 44 series receivers did not have the scope mount geometry of the production M14 receiver.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
T44E4 rifles made by Springfield Armory did not have scope mount hole and keys on the left side of the receiver. T44 receivers manufactured by Mathewson Tool Company did have a scope mount threaded hole and bosses on the left side. In either case, the Test Model 44 series receivers did not have the scope mount geometry of the production M14 receiver.
Lee, is there anything about the M14 and it's variants when extemporaneous questions arise that you can't answer?

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Lee, is there anything about the M14 and it's variants when extemporaneous questions arise that you can't answer?
LOL, there are some M14 mysteries yet unexplained. Example, what was the full name of IDE, the U. S. importer of Chinese M14 rifles? The answer to that question still eludes me.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
How about?

How Many Is...ENOUGH ???

GI2

CAVman in WYoming

Reactions: XM25Ren

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe I can lean on Lou a little to see if they can do something about the scope mount hole. Of course I've been trying to get him to mark some receivers M14NM for years with no success. It's neat that they came up with the T44E4 designation for a limited run. If no more are made these will become interesting collectors items. Only about 200 are scheduled for production according to LRB.

One other thing that is important when building one of these rifles... The barrels were not chrome lined.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Maybe I can lean on Lou a little to see if they can do something about the scope mount hole. Of course I've been trying to get him to mark some receivers M14NM for years with no success. It's neat that they came up with the T44E4 designation for a limited run. If no more are made these will become interesting collectors items. Only about 200 are scheduled for production according to LRB.

One other thing that is important when building one of these rifles... The barrels were not chrome lined.
Ted,

Go lean on Lou harder.

My T44e4 stock will be nicely complemented by a T44e4 receiver without a scope mount. I would not even ask for a discount since he has to do less machining. .. lol.

I've accumulated some parts correct for the era. Jersey Devil bid on an early gas cylinder for and got it. Thursday this week I went to Kerrville and robbed Art Luppino out of a SA bolt and TRW TG. Thanks, Art. Actually he has been waiting for me for months to visit him so he can give me the parts he set asideq. The TRW TG is going into my XM21 clone.

I have an unmarked none chrome lined barrel, most likely SAI; for the sake of this project I will call it a very early SA barrel used in the T44e4 project. Or, I can have it marked with all correct markings for that era. Different..... hint. To make the barrel shoot better I will stamp NM on it

Different,

Here is a test. What would be the correct rear sight assembly, correct trigger group, correct op rod guide, op rod, and flash hider for the T44e4?
These are the parts I still need

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
I have an unmarked none chrome lined barrel, most likely SAI; for the sake of this project I will call it a very early SA barrel used in the T44e4 project. Or, I can have it marked with all correct markings for that era. Different..... hint. To make the barrel shoot better I will stamp NM on it

Different,

Here is a test. What would be the correct rear sight assembly, correct trigger group, correct op rod guide, op rod, and flash hider for the T44e4?
These are the parts I still need
I found a photo of a T44E4 barrel markings in another thread. That barrel was marked SA F7267002 4 55. I can confirm that is the correct drawing number for a T44E4 barrel and 1955 is when Springfield Armory made them. There is no DAS on the chamber but there is a P proof stamp. T44E4 barrels were not stamped NM.

I compared the lists of part numbers for both T44E4 and M14 rifles. For practical purposes, the only other item you need that is not a standard M14 part is a M1 Garand elevation knob and pinion assembly. The T44E4 elevation knob was calibrated in yards, not meters.

There are some minor differences between the T44E4 and M14 but none worth getting OCD. Example, the T44E4 flash suppressor (part number 7267088) was manufactured with an inside shoulder which prevented full insertion of the M12 BFA tube. Springfield Armory redrew the part without the inside shoulder and called it part number 7791053. The new flash suppressor allowed the M12 BFA tube to be fully inserted. It became part of the M14 rifle. HTH

·
Registered
53 Posts
Its good to know that the T44E4 receivers will be special and fairly limited.

Thats the receiver on my LRB Sporter. Now I feel extra special! LOL!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts