M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had the chance to take my Squad Scout to the range yesterday. It is nice handling rifle , nice trigger and lower felt recoil than my standard. Put a battle zero on the iron sights and then installed a Burris 2-7 Scout scope zeroed for 100 yds. Tested several types of ammo off sandbags at 100, wasn't thrilled with that accuracy but none of this is match ammo. What do you think? I did some quick low ready to double tap drills at 50 and 100 yds. and did very well.
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Took my scout out again and had much better results. My 147gr handload Cut the groups in half and with match ammo gave wonderful results. Guess my rifle just prefers the heavier bullet

· Registered
89 Posts
I am thinking about putting that Burris scope on a Scout. I have never used a "scout rifle" setup and I am hesitant to put that kind of money into a system I may not like.

What is your opinion on your setup?

· Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like it. I have used the scout scope set up on a couple of other rifles as well as this one. One bolt and a lever. It is very quick and as long as you keep it low enough to get a good cheek weld accurate as well. It does let you shoot with both eyes open for better awareness of what is going on around you.

· Registered
19 Posts
loader21,

I have my scout set up in a similar fashion, have been playing with a Nikon and a Leatherwood scout scope set up also. Have not yet decided which scope I like better quite yet.

Muzzle blast with the brake is a bit loud and I may go with something like the coast guard flash suppressor instead. On the lower power settings the scope is easy to use with both eyes open. As I increase the power I find myself squinting, closing, the left eye. Need more training I guess.

I am really enjoying the Springfield Scout package!

· Registered
553 Posts
I am thinking about putting that Burris scope on a Scout. I have never used a "scout rifle" setup and I am hesitant to put that kind of money into a system I may not like.

What is your opinion on your setup?
I have the same concerns for my scout. I am also considering an ARMS mount with a Leatherwood CMR.

· Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Samson is Israeli, IMI. I have not tried groups at 100 without the scope. Next step I guess. I think part of the problem with the groups is that I had a hard time getting a good cheek weld from the bench. Not a problem in any other position. Not sure whether I am going to need a cheek piece or not.I have checked tightness on all the scope mounting connections and they are good. I like the Springfield muzzle break I do notice the noise but also notice the felt recoil reduction.

· Registered
1,925 Posts
I have a Leupold FX II Scout IER on my Springfield Scout Squad and am quite happy with it. Hindsight being 20/20 I may have gotten the Burris for the variable magnification but I support American manufacturing whenever possible and I don't believe Burris is made in the US. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you are looking to shoot competition, yes, your groups need a lot of improvement. I bought my Scout as a SHTF rifle and my groups will serve me well defending my home from looters. Yours likely would as well.

I also have a full size, all USGI or USGI spec rifle but if I was running out the door and could only take one rifle, it would be the Scout.

· Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Clark, That's basically what I bought mine for, I have a standard M1A which groups better but I do not want to scope it. Got this one for a little easier handling and portability, the groups now will get me out of any mess I might need to get out of. Hopefully I will find a handload that it likes better but I have quite a bit of these ammos hoarded for whatever. All the scout scopes that I have had before were fixed and I do like the extra magnification on this one.

· Registered
4,453 Posts
Have the same set up as Clark and have found that my rifle likes the Federal American Eagle for M1A's at 168 gr. Have some Hornady 165 gr. SST's but haven't had a chance to try them yet. Better ammo or handloads do seem to make a difference in how M1A's shoot. When I get rich, I'll try some Match ammo, but for now it's the cheaper USA made stuff.

· Registered
1,426 Posts
ammo with my scout is hit and miss with 147gr ball ammo. But man does she like the 175gr smk from federal. The 168 help tighten up the grouping but 175gr smk fed gmm is the bees knees with my rifle.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.