M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been looking for a nice AR 10 in 308 but the recent run on guns took them away. I had considered an M1A earlier but scoping it seemed a hassle and expensive. I got to shoot an M1 last week with iron sights. These were the best open sights I've ever tried! I'm 67 so iron sights are a challenge. These were very useable so I decided to get an M1A and use it with irons for plinking and casual target fun.

Grab a Gun had some standards at a fair price ($1368) with FDE stocks so I bought one. Took it to the indoor 50 yard range today and fired 45 rounds. I was relieved that it cycled all rounds perfectly. I got four 10 shot groups from 1 1/4 to 1 3/4". Thats good for me and I think I can do better outdoors with more light and some more practice. A bit of Googling solved a stubborn windage adjuster. With the rear sight centered windage was spot on. The trigger is fine, 5# pull with a very smooth 1st stage.

Even with the light weight plastic stock the recoil was mild. Ejection didn't sling brass too far but this rifle does maul the brass some, that seems normal for these rifles though. I did field strip it before shooting, removing the operating rod and bolt to clean and grease it lightly. I'm used to Mini 14 and Mini 30 and was surprised at how easy the M1A was to take down and reassemble.

I have no plans to add or modify anything on this rifle, just keep it plain and simple. The "Caution" card on this one has the date 5/14/2020. I was maybe a bit concerned if that date was near the manufacture time. If so SA was likely cranking them out as fast as possible. If mine is any indication, they're doing a good job.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Congrats on the purchase of your new M1A & sounds like you are a happy owner . No one should be relieved that a new Rifle works , it's how it's supposed to be . My SOCOM has never missed a beat .

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a new M1A standard. Walnut stock. Been on my bucket list for a long time. Havent shot it yet because i had shoulder surgery in June. Never owned one before so Ive been doing a lot of reading up on it. Looking forward to being able to shoot it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just bought a new M1A standard. Walnut stock. Been on my bucket list for a long time. Havent shot it yet because i had shoulder surgery in June. Never owned one before so Ive been doing a lot of reading up on it. Looking forward to being able to shoot it
You'll enjoy it! Felt recoil is way less than a 308 bolt gun of similar weight. I usually use a shoulder pad for most rifles but it was not needed for my M1A.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the same model, I haven't shot it yet. Maybe I'll have some free time this week and get it done. I've wanted an M1A for a lot of years, finally got one.

Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts