M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am considering purchasing a rifle and I would like to run my ideas past you all to see what the experts think.

I would like a SOCOM 16, with a JAE stock and Magpul's Angled Grip, the Ultimak M8 top rail with a Leupold 2.5 IER Scout Scope. With a Delta P thread adapter so I can put on an AAC Flash Hider and eventually one of thier suppressors once I also get the Adjustable Gas Plug to mitigate gas blowback. Maybe a Harris bipod.

My goal for this rifle is to have it be dual purpose. First and foremost it should be an accurate mid range battle rifle for out to 400-500 yards. And secondly but almost as important is that, if need be I can quickly detach the scope, and throw on a suppressor with subsonic rounds for a home defense or shtf situation.

My questions are; is the SOCOM 16 an accurate enough rifle for the job? I have heard people on here complaining about its accuracy. But ideally the rifle will be as short as possible to aid in room clearing or CQB events. Also, does any know of a good quick detach system? One that is relatively low profile and that won't completely ruin my zero? And am I going to have issues with the rear sight getting in the way or should I consider co witnessing?

I appreciate any advice or guidance that anyone can give.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would say you might be better with a scout. The 18" barrel is going to give you better mid-range accuracy and you're not giving up much in the CQB realm, especially if you're thinking a suppressor. I love my SOCOM, but I wouldn't push her much past 300 unless you're running handloads with a faster burning powder to offset the velocity loss.
That being said...My SOCOM shoots sub-2 MOA groups, but that's with a Troy MCS, a SEI break and a scope with hand loads, so it can shoot accurately, requires a little tailoring though.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I would say you might be better with a scout. The 18" barrel is going to give you better mid-range accuracy and you're not giving up much in the CQB realm, especially if you're thinking a suppressor. I love my SOCOM, but I wouldn't push her much past 300 unless you're running handloads with a faster burning powder to offset the velocity loss.
That being said...My SOCOM shoots sub-2 MOA groups, but that's with a Troy MCS, a SEI break and a scope with hand loads, so it can shoot accurately, requires a little tailoring though.
+1 get a scout!

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
+1 get a scout!
+2 on the scout but if you must have a 16" m14, buy a used standard cheap $1000-$1100 and have it rebarreled with a SEI CQBM 16" nm grade barrel with socom kit sell your old barrel and parts to offset the cost and you will be at about the same price as a new socom with a much superior system and accuracy
Also I love the JAE but leave it for the long barrels get a nice used EBR

M14 CQB Barrel, 16”
Replaces Springfield SOCOM 16 and SOCOM II, or can be used for new builds on any M14 type receiver. 1:10” twist, 4 grooves. Made from 4140 chrome-moly and stress relived, with MIL-STD 171 magnesium phosphate finish. Barrel is crowned at muzzle, concentric to bore and of the proper depth. Chambers (when we install them) are a 16+ finish.
Our barrels will shoot 1 MOA with M118LR or any of the 168 gr. factory match ammo. USGI LC M80 ball or any of the U.S. made M80 ball (with the exception of Portuguese 147grn. from the 1980’s) will shoot under 2 MOA most of the time.

We recommend that you use the P/N 2001V SOCOM Kit, The SEI gas lock, made from fatigue proof steel, has the correct deck height that allows the use of a standard USGI front sight, or one of our bar stock sights (shown below): P/N 2055 USGI replacement, P/N 2018 Tritium Bar Stripe, P/N2019 Tritium Dot, or P/N 2004 National Match. We also recommend replacement of the standard rear sight with P/N 2020, that uses a smaller aperture for better accuracy.

Featured in the Shooting Illustrated Jan. 2012 issue, written by Gary P. Johnson.

NOTE: SEI recommends sending your rifle here installation – all our M14 barrels are short chambered, and require fitting to the receiver. We use a special made Manson M118LR reamer, that allows accurate headspace for M118LR 175 gr. through M80 ball ammo.

·
Registered
868 Posts
You Scout guys....

are always chiming in on SOCOM 16 questions. I don't get it. AsaSpades, RAMMAC is the man! Check out his SOCOM 16. He's a great guy. He can get you going in the right direction.

Reactions: AsaSpades

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the tips and info. I have been talking with RAMMAC and he gave me some really amazing advice. I think I have a great build hammered out now.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
While subsonic rounds are very stealthy they would be a poor choice for home defense because you must cycle the action manually making your rifle just like a bolt action.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts