M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't know why they simply can't make one with a steel lower receiver also like the original, but it's closer atleast to the 551's. No steel lower, no deal for me. I've always wanted a 551 too. But an all steel 551. The original 551's with the steel lower are perfectly balanced and not heavy at all.

https://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/sig551-a1.aspx

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
have you handled one yet?
this is mine, set up with original san mags,
and an insight technology ISM-IR
it balances perfectly.

No I haven't. Last night was the first I'd even heard of them, running over Sig's site. I don't go to any Sig forum though and haven't been to a show or shop around here in a while to run into one. You got a nice looking rifle set up and I'm to here you like the balance.

As Anagram-Sam mentions, there's another reason I simply want the steel lower. Durability. Overall strength, from pin holes to stock heel. Aluminum's useable, obviously and I still own AR's, but I would love an all steel receivered 551. They're still my favorite 5.56x45mm rifle. The aluminum lower just doesn't do it for me and the 556's I've handled and shot just aren't balanced the same. There front heavy. I can't see how this would be any different, but I'll look to check one out at the first opportunity.

Love to hear how your's shoot. Is the receiver fit tight or loose? How much did you pay for the mags?

·
Eye Master
4,169 Posts
My guess is it is a cost issue. The sheet metal steel ones are cheaper per unit, but the stamping dies to form them cost a bunch. While those dies exist in Switzerland, SIG cannnot import receivers. The smaller US market does not justify the cost of new dies for US based production. CNC machined aluminum (either from billet or from a forging) might cost more per unit, but the stamping dies are eliminated.

Makes you wonder if the Swiss company couldn'd somehow produce 80% steel receivers, that are brought into the US and completed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
have you handled one yet?
this is mine, set up with original san mags,
and an insight technology ISM-IR
it balances perfectly.

That is one sweet rifle. Nice work!!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Can one obtain magazines for these for less than $70/ea? Because a cursory search turns up nothing.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Can one obtain magazines for these for less than $70/ea? Because a cursory search turns up nothing.
+1 My first reaction, it won't take standard AR/Nato STANAG magazines. More than a steel lower that would kill the deal for me.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
$50 bucks for a mag...........not when I can get Pmags for $12 and GI's for less than that. Not at all impressed with the SIG 556, might consider a SIG 516 but thats about it.

I'm sure the 551 is a great rifle, enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The price and availability of Sig mags is definitely a bummer, but I'd handle for a true 551. I was very hyped years back with the coming of the 556, but I was hoping for a all steel receivered 551 that took Stanag mags. That would be top notch for me. They could do it. Anything can be done if someone just decides to and puts their mind to it, but for some reason Sig just keeps choosing ride the short bus to rifle design class. Maybe one day I'll be able to get my hands on an actual Swiss made 551 or two. My fingers are crossed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.