M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a younger man I shot small bore NRA and later in the Army shot in local competitions in Germany. I have some pretty good experiance with rifle marksmanship and was even a small arms instructor in the Army.
I've wanted an M1A for years and "Lucked" in to a deal on two M1 Garands at the Rod and Gun club on post about 18 years ago, so I am somewhat comfortable with the M1A platform; but still a "NewBee" to some degree.
I bought my M1A and during disassembly found it a bit lacking in stock stiffness. From what I have read here that is a pretty common complaint.
Would it be more prudent to purchase a used GI stock and repalce this one right away?
If So 1) Is it better to go wood or fiberglass?
2) What is a reasonable price to pay for either choice?
-or-
What can I do to improve this stock?
1) What can be done to stiffen the foreward stock to stiffen it?
2) What adhesives work best with this material?
-and-
Which choice would be most cost effective and give me the most "bang for the Buck?"
I'm not going to be shooting this rifle at Camp Perry, mostly it will be a General Purpose Rifle. Target shooting at the range, taking hogs and deer and self defence.
I would like to mount a Basset scope mount along with a Burris PEPR and Burris 3x9 with a burris fast fire.
So, What do I do about the stock?
Whats the best Stock Comb Riser?
And where can I get a good GI sling?
I know thats a lot for a guy with so few posts here, but thank you for your patience.
Thanks Again
A/M

·
Registered
400 Posts
There are some guides floating around on how to stiffen the forearm using carbon arrow shafts and epoxy. Im sure you will nee to inlet it some or at least make room for the op-rod guide. Ive never done it myself but Im sure someone can point you to the guides. If I can find them Ill post the link

I have had both walnut and fiberglass on mine and the fiberglass seemed to lock up tighter, however neither have been bedded yet and I dont think that fiberglass is better simply because of that. Obviously fiberglass will be less affected by the environment so thats one thing to consider.

Both can be had at a pretty good price. Picked up my GI fiberglass for $100 and it had been stripped and repainted. Just bought a very nice birch for $75 from the PX.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
1) The gumby stocks from SAI can't be improved much as far as I know. A search for "carbon fiber" or "stiffen" will turn up some results. The problem is finding an expoxy/adhesive that will bond with our stock material. If you find one, please let me know.

2) Wood or fiberglass... tradeoffs. Wood usually is stiffer but is affected by humidity.

3) Turner Saddlery for sling (search for other vendors)

4) Cheek rests: TacPro, Desert Warrior Products, etc. (search is your friend)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The stock plastic stocks from SAI are kind of noodly. I would recommend you consider what 'look' you want, what kind of weather you will be shooting in, and what your budget can bear. If you scroll down to the stock section there are years of threads on how to strengthen/improve the GI fiberglass stock, which, kind of makes it the best of both worlds.

I kept my scout length rifle in wood just because I like the looks for now, however, I have a camo'd GI fiberglass stock hanging and waiting for the first time I take the rifle out into the back country. FWIW

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.