M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I recently bought a SA Scout in the black synthetic stock and have fired the first few rounds through it and have some questions.

Admittedly, this is VERY EARLY in the breaking in and getting acclimated phase and something's will change several times before I'm satisfied with my Scout.

I bought it with the intention of scoping it and using it out to a realistic max of 400-500 yards.

At first I thought about using it as a scout style rifle and mounted a HiLux 2X7 -32 IER scope in the scout forward position. I started shooting it in but it only took 20 rds to decide I didn't like the combination.

So then I purchased a 4th Gen Steel SA mount, some Blackhawk 1" pic rings and mounted a Nikon Buckmasters 6x18-40 SF I had purchased for a 26" bolt gun. I installed the optional Easy Grip turrets and it has the mil dot recticle.

I took my time, read about the 4th Gen mounts, matched a couple of YouTube vids on how to mount. I made sure everything lined up, chased the threads of the cam bolt to make sure it turned free when finger tightening. All seems to go well and off to the range we went.

Set up at 15 yards on a clean sheet of paper, so it would be easier to locate the first couple of shots and then move the POA to the POI. fired first two rds, near centered, but low by 12". Dialed scope all the way down until it bottomed out, still shooting 2.5-3" low at 15 yards. Only took 5 clicks (1/8th inch clicks) to center on left to right. I've pulled out the instruction sheet in the scope and will re-read it tonight. Unfortunately, an afternoon frog drownder' of a thunderstorm came through and I was unable to move out to 100 yards to finish my zero. I won't be able to get back until next weekend.

I had planned to zero the Scout at 100 yards as most of the Nikon shot data seems to be built around 100 yard zeros and approximately 100 yard increments in the ranging.

If anyone has any insight and experience with this combo, I'd love to learn from your experiences. No need to re-invent the wheel. Thanks in advance and for all the info I've gotten from months of lurking around here...

Beach

·
Registered
826 Posts
A couple things I might recommend.

1. Watch Tonyben's videos on cleaning and lubrication. Get her all done up right before your next range session.

2. Take that scope off and shoot it with the irons until she is broken in. You will just frustrate yourself constantly adjusting your zero otherwise. Put a good 100rds through it before you actually try to zero it.

3. After break in, get your irons adjusted properly. Then mount your scope up and try to get it zeroed. Start with getting on paper at 25yds, then jump to 100yds. You might find that you will have enough elevation to zero there even though it is off at 25.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things go.

·
Registered
284 Posts
15 yards is way too close to get a good idea of where you will be at 100.... If you can hit a paper plate at 15 yds move to 25 get on paper move to 50 get on paper move to 100 and final zero. Or you could skip the 25 yd if you just put a large piece of paper around your target at 50 or 100yds. Ultimately 100 yd zero is much better for most uses. Once your zeroed at 100 you should only be an inch or two off at 25 yds depending on the height of your optic.

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
I'll make a little bet with you, I'll bet that the scope's centerline is just about 2.5" - 3" above the centerline of the rifle bore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.