M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently picked up a SA Loaded M1A and am now in the market for some optics. Not looking for anything too powerful, probably in the 3-9 or 4-14 range, I don't think I'll be shooting past 500-600m. I'd like to stay under a grand so I've been looking at a Falcon Menace 4-14, SWFA SS 3-9, or a Leupold Mark IV 3.5-10. Any thoughts?

Addition: Has anyone used or have insghts on a Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9 w/ Firedot TMR?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Scope

For under a grand, try a Kahles. Same Austrian factory as Swarofski. Schott glass
Saw a 3x10 on Sportsman's guide for $699. Leupold would be my next choice.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Addition: Has anyone used or have insghts on a Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9 w/ Firedot TMR?
i'm running a 4x14 VX-R w/firedot on my Standard and it's okay. Crystal clear glass but when you go to the lowest 4 power, your eye has to be in the center or you'll get the black ring around whats being viewed. 5x and above, there's no problems. The firedot adjust down pretty dim up to WOW for daylight if you really wanted it. Been swapping mounts since i last tested it but so far it has held solid.

That said, my Scout's Mk4 has the best adjustment turrents and I really love that 2.5x8 scope but kinda pricey. I wanted a combination of the two scopes to setup on my new LRB build and found one with most of those features. My money went down on the new Leupold VX3 4x14 50mm illuminated Boone and Crockett reticle. Hopefully the power and size combination fulfills my expectations. We'll see.

My NightForce is still the clerarest at long distance BUT way pricey, long and large. I have a Kahles 8x which I've owned for years and can pretty much agree their glass is pretty clear like the NightForce. On a good eye day, all three of these companies have superior glass. Hard to tell the difference. The ranging reticles and how they focus is a very personal thing so it's really what you like.

Hope that little bit helps.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 with BDC. Have one on my SA M1A and I like it a lot. Very clear glass and well built.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went with the SWFA SS 5-20. They had a Black Friday kit that came with a SS 6x42 fixed scope, caps for both scopes, Seekins med. rings, and some other stuff. Here's a link:

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-5-20x50-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P51657.aspx

I've heard good things about the SWFA SS scopes and with a deal like this how could I pass it up. I think I'm going to try the 6x fixed on the M1A for a while and use the 5-20 on my long range bolt rifle. Thanks for the advice.

Any help on a mount now. Thinking Sadlak or the new CASM mount:
http://www.m14.ca/M14_M1A_CASM_Scope_Mount.html

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
The fixed 6 is a good choice for the m1a. I had the illuminated version of the 5-20x50 on my bolt gun and it was great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fixed 6 is a good choice for the m1a. I had the illuminated version of the 5-20x50 on my bolt gun and it was great.
Thanks, that's good to hear. Can't wait til they come in.

·
Premium Member
17,498 Posts
I have Leupold Mk 4s on 3 of my M14s. Tried most of the rest and settled on these.
Semper Fi
Art

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have Leupold Mk 4s on 3 of my M14s. Tried most of the rest and settled on these.
Semper Fi
Art
Really like the Mk 4's, we use them on our M24 and M110 but went with the swfa for the black friday deal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts