M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to show you who have a newer SAI rifle stock and are considering treating it with BLO looks like after treatment, I used 0000 steel wool between the coats of BLO and then again very lightly after the last coat. I really like the way it came out, it's much smoother and 'softer' to the touch and does not feel nearly as dry prior to treatment. The color darkened slightly but looks nicer I believe.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
That's Purdy!

Reactions: Stevie Ray

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all! Seems like there have been a couple of folks enquiring about treating their new SAI stocks and wanted to give 'em an idea of about how they may turn out.

It actually gave the rifle a little 'dated' look, which I like also.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
looks very good
Lruss

Reactions: Stevie Ray

·
Registered
33 Posts
Did you take it apart to apply the BLO. Just wondering I have a new m1a NM and don't won't to take it apart . How would it turn out if I left it together. Just asking. Looks great I hope mine would turn out that great.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I like it! I've been trying to convince myself to refinish the wood on my work rifle but it gets banged around so much I am hesitant to put forth the effort. I'm glad to see yours turn out so nicely. It looks great.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I put 4 coats of tung oil on my new SAI springfield stock and it looks great. (I wish I knew how to post pictures). I do have a question. Why is steel wool used in between coats? Is it to smooth out the finish or is it to lessen the glossy look? Thanks for your help! By the way, I did not take my rifle apart.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts