M14 Forum banner

New SAI Scout Squads

2757 Views 16 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Flatirons M1A
Ordered...arriving...thinking next steps before they're even here!

Just like anything brand new, if there are no mechanical or QC issues to address, what priority should I be looking at across the board?

Have read thru just about everything I could get my brain to absorb, so any and all recos will be considered from those of you who are further down the road (especially with current serials) or even "if I were to do it over" scenarios.

You won't hurt my feelings and I have relatively thick skin, so please be honest.

When they arrive, what do I need to to them?

Really looking forward to this!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2,565 Posts
I would start with tearing it apart, cleaning it, visually inspecting all parts, grease it then take it out and shoot it. Down the road you might want to put in a NM spring guide (Sadlak) and possibly a Sadlak Tactical Mag Release. From there the possibilities are endless depending on how much money you want to spend and what you goals are for the rifles.

You will find a lot of threads and posts on just this work so have a good time exploring. Oh yeah, don't forget to buy lots of mags and ammo. IMHO

· Registered
435 Posts
I would start with tearing it apart, cleaning it, visually inspecting all parts, grease it then take it out and shoot it. Down the road you might want to put in a NM spring guide (Sadlak) and possibly a Sadlak Tactical Mag Release. From there the possibilities are endless depending on how much money you want to spend and what you goals are for the rifles.

You will find a lot of threads and posts on just this work so have a good time exploring. Oh yeah, don't forget to buy lots of mags and ammo. IMHO

+1 on RET DEP response. Just go out there and have fun with your new rifle. Listen to her, find out what she likes to eat and order more of that. Get yourself plenty of mags, current GI issue are CMI, order from 44mag.com. Learn how to use the best battle rifle iron sights well. Then maybe get a good mount (Sadlak, SEI, Arms, bassett) or use the scout mount and scope your baby. After time, slowly buy USGI parts (hammer,sear,safety,op rod,piston,GC,etc)and replace your commercial parts, keep those for spares.

Go have fun before you tear into her.

· Registered
5,852 Posts
RET DEP 04 said it best. Tear it apart, clean and grease, enjoy. Once you see how it shoots you can decide if you want to change anything. When you make changes, make them one at a time. This way if there are any issues from the changes you can easily figure it out rather than undo 10 things and try to figure out the one that caused the problem.

Small changes I've liked are the Sadlak NM spring guide and tac latch, Tubb CS springs, shimming the gas system and fitting the hand guard. Easy to do, low cost and usually helps accuracy. Personally I'd ditch the scout mount and get a solid hand guard but that's me.

· Registered
3,740 Posts
+whatever on tearing it down, lubrication and going out and shooting it!

Look up the "tilt test" and make sure she passes it. Also the lubrication tutorial.

After that, a NM spring guide from Sadlak or Badger Ordinance, tactical mag release and shimming the gas cylinder are good first steps.

· Registered
3,270 Posts
TheTinMan;690096After that said:
Pretty close to what I did with my Socom... Sadlak piston and spring guide, shimmed up the gas cylinder, removed the rail and put a ventilated handguard on it, and dropped it into walnut. You don't have to do a lot to it, it's pretty capable right out of the box... but as RET DEP 04 says, it depends on what your goals for the weapon are.

I'm working on the ammo and magazines now...

· Registered
2,565 Posts
Here are some videos that might help:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7pnWkmTVDU&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vEcynF9Ruk&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m4GQSH-5Ek[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY0Jrcs2zDQ&NR=1[/ame]

· Registered
237 Posts
Sq Scount new ....now used @ 800 rnds

shoot clean, shoot clean...like thirty, forty times first, after all that you will have one of the best shooting rifles going, I have only had mine for four weeks from NIB to range 5 times now, and after 800 rounds have found this rifle to be one of the best I've ever shot on irons period. First steel parts purchase was the Sadlak Nm op rod spring guide, its just beefier than factory, for glass I went with an Aimpoint H-1 micro as I like the both eyes wide open approach. ( though a scout scope will come in future).
I shot 147 gr PMC with ok results on the irons only @ 100 to 200 , but now its time to start the process of seeing what this beast really wants to ingest a few boxes at a time till I find what works best for me.
I found even with the optic it only held like 3 in, goups at 100 on 147 gr, my thoughts are the 168-175 gr will fair much tighter groups. as this gun is still really tight I found that keeping it really clean is going to be paramount to its function, oh yeah dont over lube it either. ( I found this out the hard way already ) enjoy your new rifle.......life is good ....go shoot

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
shoot clean, shoot clean...like thirty, forty times first, after all that you will have one of the best shooting rifles going, enjoy your new rifle.......life is good ....go shoot
I'm not certain what you meant by this opening...?

I was planning on this for my first range trip, which is unfortunately and indoor shorty.

[After the initial breakdown and clean/lube] Fire a 20 round magazine, run a boresnake thru, lather rinse repeat for 80 to 100 rounds, return home and clean.

Just need to pick up the recommended chems.

Thoughts? Too much? Too little?

· Registered
1,238 Posts
One of these days, I might get around to setting up one of mine for a can, but funds are limited, and I always decide to get another M14 type instead. (lol)

An SEI direct connect flash hider along with gas lock front sight might be of interest to you, and especially if you wanna suppress your rifle...... depending on the threads of your specific can......
http://www.smithenterprise.com/products03.01.html

Here are some pics for reference, and comparison...

Note: The other rifle for comparison sports a flash hider, but is the same length as your MB.
Note: Rifle with the SEI Vortex FH/glfs-h sports a Criterion 18.5 chrome lined tube.

I now shim the gas cylinder, add a Sadlak op-rod spring guide, and tin coated gas piston to mine as well. Also looking at the Sadlak extended mag release for my LRB M14SA Tanker when I get home from a current deployment.

· Banned
3,055 Posts
Err...did I mention these will most likely be set up for suppressors?

I believe this warrants an adjustable gas valve (I think).
I run a Wind Talker M14DC 0.30 Caliber Sound Suppressor on my M14s with 16.25", 18.0" and 22.0" barrels.
None of these rifles have an adjustable gas plug thingy and I have not experienced any problems.

Are you planning to run optics on your Scouts? How will they be mounted?

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I sincerely appreciate everyone's comments so far.

Optics--I was considering another Nikon IRT laser scope (like the FNAR), but I'm seeing a whole 'nother world as I go back thru the archives. Different platform, different requirements. Suggestions?

As for mounting the optics--I have absolutely NO clue what I need!!

I'm really loving everything I see on the forum and I just keep getting deeper and deeper.

I think there may be a 12-step program in my immediate future...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.