M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time Lurker, first time poster...
After lusting for my own after getting to carry one for years in a color guard, I recently brought home a new SAI standard.
I've put close to 200 rounds downrange so far without issue,mostly DAG and RG ammo. I've noticed that the brass neck and case were pretty beat up afterward,pitted and scratched.Upon closer inspection with the aid of a bore light, the chamber itself has what I'd describe as an unfinished(pitted and/or unpolished) look to it, like it had been reamed and then left more than a little rough.I've tried to take picures of the chamber without success to help illustrate...

My question is thus... Is this a normal,from the factory finish... or is it something to be concerned about that could cause me issues later on ?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
If you are reloading or decide to start reloadin at some time in the future it could be a real problem for you. It is almost impossible to take a picture of the chamber with the barrel attached to the reviever, but you could take some of the brass.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do intend to reload at some point, and with the softer brass, I thought I might run into issues. Just for comparison,I ran some Remington UMC through it today, and lo and behold, I've got more than a few concentric rings around the case body up to the shoulder,although I don't have any extraction issues yet.

Guess I should give SA a call in the morning. This is gonna be interesting.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I think you will be surprised with customer service at SA. I have dealt with them and found them to be totally helpful. Let us know the results.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
If you've given it a good scouring with solvent and a chamber brush and it's still doing that I'd say you need to contact Springfield and talk with them.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
My understanding is that you do not want a "polished" chamber on the M1A. If the chamber was indeed too rough wouldn't you be having an extraction problem? There are more knowledgeable people than me on the forum, but this might be a case of leaving well enough alone especially if you've never had a problem.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I don't know how new OP's M1A is, but SAI ran out of USGI barrels for the Standard a while back and switched to a non-chrome-lined barrel that they're buying from some source. Memphis had one but I can't recall how it worked out. I'd probably contact SAI's warranty dept and explain it to them. Chamber reamers can get dull and gritty.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
"Memphis had one but I can't recall how it worked out."
The one I have was short chambered and I reamed it with an almost new reamer. I have reamed 4 barrels with it and they all turned out very smooth. I went very slow and have some original formula Tap Matic that I saved for special jobs like this.I don't see any noticable damage to my brass.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, after speaking with a SAI customer rep this morning, my firearm is on its way back to IL via FedEx.

Thank you all for your replies and advice.Very much appreciated !

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just wanted to follow up...
Got my rifle back today after a two week and four day turnaround. A new barrel was installed and this chamber is shiny and baby smooth.Out to the range tomorrow.
Thanks to all for the advice.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Two weeks and four days? I wouldn't have any fingernails left.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I read Frank Iannamico's book," The Last Steel Warrior" cover to cover while waiting. Twice.GITEN

·
Registered
249 Posts
SA Inc. usually headspaces at 1.631" afaik. It wouldn't be too big a deal to take another thousandth off with a finish reamer in better shape. Course, you're all good now so no worries.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts