M14 Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I had the same problem with my standard too. the barrel needs just a slight turn to align to. Looks exactly (like your photo). As for the front sight it came mounted way right too. I centered it at the range and then adjusted the rear sight to bring it to center ( was only like 2 or 3 clicks) then with a sharp point i scratched a reference zero. barley noticible but it allowed me to bring it towards the middle...
One issue that I read about with canted sights is that even if you're shooting dead center at say 100 yards, moving the elevation up while using a canted sight will now result in a round that isn't hitting center. In other words, with a canted sight, one must also compensate windage when adjusting elevation.

I think I will still send it back to SAI for adjustment. I noticed when I had the rifle apart that the piston/op-rod isn't exactly square; the piston does not contact the op-rod dead center. There doesn't appear to be any binding but I think it's best to just let SAI work all the kinks out of my rifle for peace of mind.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
A couple of additional pictures showing some things of concern that I thought I'd run by the members of the forum

The first picture displaying the op-rod/charging handle shows peening right at the bottom (or top in this image) of the semi-circular cut out. The peening is happening when the op-rod contacts the receiver. Is this normal?

The second image just shows the slight misalignment of the gas piston and op-rod.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.