M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been interested in the M14 platform for several years at this point. I've never been one to jump at ARs and 'what everyone else at the range has'. My first rifle was a Mini-30, followed by a Mini-14, because I honestly just enjoyed having a bit different style rifle to bring on shooting trips.

This forum has been very informative and I want to thank everyone here for the information posted over the years that I've tried to really absorb.

If anyone cares to chime in, I do have 1 current dilemma: My great state in the Pacific Northwest has new laws going into effect shortly. This has pushed my timeline up to finally acquire an M14 style rifle. I had been very interested in Bula, but their retooling to continue bringing great options puts them out of my time-crunch. I was gearing up to put the money up for an LRB receiver and build it over time, until an M1A National Match popped up locally for a reasonable (though not a steal) price.

What would you do? M1A National Match (assuming good condition and one of the newer models without USGI parts) or LRB stripped receiver for more than half the cost of the M1A. This will be a plinker, I don't hunt, I don't compete, and I use my toys (not a collector/investor, no safe queens). But I do appreciate something to hit 8" steel rounds at 200-300 yards that will last a lifetime with proper care and expected small parts replacements. I have no issues sending my firearms in to have them warranty repaired as I have enough rifles I enjoy shooting that I can part with any of them for a few weeks or so.

Obviously there's no right answer, but I certainly appreciate opinions and discussion.

Thank you and I look forward to joining the club soon.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Hi all,

I've been interested in the M14 platform for several years at this point. I've never been one to jump at ARs and 'what everyone else at the range has'. My first rifle was a Mini-30, followed by a Mini-14, because I honestly just enjoyed having a bit different style rifle to bring on shooting trips.

This forum has been very informative and I want to thank everyone here for the information posted over the years that I've tried to really absorb.

If anyone cares to chime in, I do have 1 current dilemma: My great state in the Pacific Northwest has new laws going into effect shortly. This has pushed my timeline up to finally acquire an M14 style rifle. I had been very interested in Bula, but their retooling to continue bringing great options puts them out of my time-crunch. I was gearing up to put the money up for an LRB receiver and build it over time, until an M1A National Match popped up locally for a reasonable (though not a steal) price.

What would you do? M1A National Match (assuming good condition and one of the newer models without USGI parts) or LRB stripped receiver for more than half the cost of the M1A. This will be a plinker, I don't hunt, I don't compete, and I use my toys (not a collector/investor, no safe queens). But I do appreciate something to hit 8" steel rounds at 200-300 yards that will last a lifetime with proper care and expected small parts replacements. I have no issues sending my firearms in to have them warranty repaired as I have enough rifles I enjoy shooting that I can part with any of them for a few weeks or so.

Obviously there's no right answer, but I certainly appreciate opinions and discussion.

Thank you and I look forward to joining the club soon.
Hmm, if time is the issue but you have the money go with whats local and available. These are robust rifles and being on the internet guy's like too make big issues out of rather small ones, most really are operator error because they don't read the instructions.

If you still interested in a Bula, check the PX there was a receiver floating around for sale at what I thought was a reasonable price..

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Any M1A/M14 should be able to hit an 8 inch steel plate at 300. With open sights and decent ammo!
Ive hit 10 inch plates at 600 with an SAI STD.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
howdy
Since you asked for opinions, I think you should move to a free state.
welcome from Wyomin!
Duly Noted. It's certainly the ultimate goal, but other priorities dictate a 5+ year delay on that. And I simply can't wait THAT long to enjoy the M14 style.

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Many folks here start with a M1A from Springfield Armory like the National Match rifle you mention in your initial thread.

Based on your description of needs this should fill all of those plus you get a company with a great warranty. I see nothing wrong with acquiring the NM you mention assuming the condition is good.

Down the road after the addiction has really grabbed you hard, you will learn a lot and may choose to build up your own rifle which is a great learning experience and is very fulfilling.

So my recommendation is the National Match will be fine, but save up a lot of money for the addiction and for your next build.

Also, I just have to say if you like the BULA receiver with no rear sights [the XM21 Model] there is one in the PX right now with A LOT of great extras for $1,400. You would have to run a scope on this receiver, but it is a really nice rifle! I have no skin in this, but just pointing out a nice rifle.

Here is the link in case you have not seen it.

https://m14forum.com/px/486614-bula-xm21-rifle-reduced.html

M1Army

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, I just have to say if you like the BULA receiver with no rear sights [the XM21 Model] there is one in the PX right now with A LOT of great extras for $1,400. You would have to run a scope on this receiver, but it is a really nice rifle! I have no skin in this, but just pointing out a nice rifle.

Here is the link in case you have not seen it.

https://m14forum.com/px/486614-bula-xm21-rifle-reduced.html

M1Army
Thanks! I had my eye on that one. I was looking at the Bula DMR, or the LRB M25. While I may (or may not) scope whatever I get down the line, I intend to shoot irons off the get go. So unfortunately it didn't fit my bill. Thanks for looking out though!

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Welcome from the So CA desert...

Buy anything you find and shoot and learn!

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,082 Posts
Welcome from SoCal! Get what you can that will work for now, after you move you can get another later.
m14brian

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
So another WA shooter then? We are indeed faced with impending really stupid new laws regarding semi auto rifles. I feel your pain and in the same boat.

As I have no intentions of playing ball with their new system once in place, I added a Auto Ordnance M1 carbine the other day and will this coming week add an M1A in 6.5 Creedmoor because I might want one down the road a bit. It wasn't really on my radar until another new member recently started a thread about his, some wise guy from PA or something, LOL...

So I went local looking and have one lined up.

Welcome to the forum. That little Scout will fill the bill for a while.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
howdy
Since you asked for opinions, I think you should move to a free state.
welcome from Wyomin!
Up until the last few years which brought the passage of two really stupid voter approved state initiatives, this was a pretty gun friendly state. I 594 added new restrictions, but this latest 1639 just went dog nuts and the voters approved it, so unless and until it gets tossed, (unlikely), we are stuck with it.

We are still a "shall issue" concealed carry state, just a background check and no criminal history is all that's needed. Open carry is legal here as well, but not advisable in most places.

There are very few places left really that are completely gun friendly. At 65 I am much less inclined to pick up anchor and move as long as most of what I do and need is here. Born and raised around salt water, hate to be far from it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Welcome from Virginia. You will like a Scout. I enjoy mine, but I couldn't decide between a that or a Nat'l Match, so I got both originally early last year.

I lived in WA state 5 full years 2010-2014, and it seemed to be pretty gun friendly then, bit that might have been due to the crowd I worked and ran with. I returned to VA end of 2014, but the seeds were sown out there for a 308 in an M14 platform. Now we have three of them (filled the gap with a Loaded) and two M1 Garand older brothers.

Welcome, and hope it gets better out there for you guys.
ranger7gt

1 - 20 of 20 Posts