M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought my first M14 pattern rifle, SAI M1A mfr date 6/14. I was really excited to get to the range and shoot it. First three shots at 25yds was a good group but a little off so I made sight adjustments. Went to fire another 3 shot group and the extractor broke on the 5th round ever fired outside the factory. I have read about sub par parts so I wasn't too surprised but very disappointed to say the least. I just can't believe that they still can't make a decent rifle for $1500. I'm not asking too much am I? Back to Springfield for repair, sigh.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Completely understand mine broke on the 6th round ever fired. Bought a usgi extractor and spring changed them out and have put 1000+ rnds through it with no hiccups.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I wouldn't send it back, just get a GI extractor and change it out. They will just put another extractor of the same quality back in it. If you do go the GI route, if you need help changing it, there are a few members in San Antonio (including me) that can help you out.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've already ordered a spare parts kit from Jersey Devil in the PX. I'm still going to send it in just on principle. Then when I get it back I'll swap the parts. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm seriously considering selling it and saving for something else.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ah don't sell it until you get it running right. I felt the same way but once everything was fixed and running smoothly it has been pure heaven. Just wait and see an if after that you don't absolutely love it then by all means do what you like. Just don't sell yourself short for a bad hiccup.

·
Registered
977 Posts
+1 on the do it yourself extractor repair.
This is mildly disappointing, but an altogether known and researched issue.

Save everyone time and money and learn a little bit about your rifle by replacing the part. Its simple enough and you will gain experience working on it.

LIke I said, sad, but everyone knows about this issue from the get go if they do any research on the present rifles. Half the fun is tinkering until you get it doing what you want it too.

If you make the repair and still can't get it to shoot as well as your skill level with iron sights will allow, then start to think about moving it along.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I get so bummed out for the new M1A owner that has this happen to them. Can you imagine shooting your first mag and the rifle breaks? It's stupid.

Whatever you do don't sell the rifle though - it'll kick ass once this problem is fixed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What luck, sorry to hear about your extractor issue. I would be mad. I think that sending it back to Springfield is the right thing to do. It's a new rifle and it is a good idea to have a clear record of any issues.

Changing out the extractor for a USGI version is easy and you should be able to do it yourself with no problem. It will be a good opportunity to get to know more about your rifle.

I have a fairly new Socom 16 and don't have more than a few hundred rounds through it (with no issues). I want to get a couple USGI extractors myself.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sucks, for that price you would expect them to have better qc on the key parts..but hell of a lot better having a lemon extractor than a lemon receiver!!

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
I'm very sorry your extractor broke. I can imagine your dissapointment. You are doing the right thing sending it back, even if you replace the extractor later yourself .The ONLY way to get SAI to fix the dang problem to begin with is to hit them in the pocketbook, every rifle sent back costs them not only shipping both ways [which ain't cheap] but the personel to fix it, & the parts all of which eats the net profit per rifle. If you don't send it back your just a voice on the phone that costs them nothing. Make it cost them , when enough rifles come back & the bottom line keeps taking a hit they'll find a way to fix the problem . We get an average 8 to 10 of these complaints on here per year . They build a accurate well built rifle except for the dang extractor. I know once you get the oppurtunity to shoot it you'll be very happy with it.

Reactions: habu1 and MAC702

·
Registered
310 Posts
As ray55 said. Several months ago I was talking to custservrep about an unrelated issue and he asked me what I had done to the rifle. I said I hadn't fired it yet, but had replaced the extractor with a USGI part. He was aghast!! "Why would you do that?" I said I was surprised that they had not heard of the failures of their extractors as I had, and didn't relish replacing one at the range. He said they hadn't heard of any probs with the extractor. Now he may've been blowing smoke or truly had not had any complaints as it is much easier to replace the part than deal with shipping,ect. BUT, I would at least sent them the broken extractor with a note. 2centsworth.

·
Registered
231 Posts
LOL1 dont feel too bad. I went to the range today with my Scout Squad paid more than $1500 for it. Never shot it before. Shot 2 rounds and the extractor broke. Wasted $33 to get into the gun range. I did read that it should be the first thing you replace and I wanted to see how long it would last.... when they say replace it ... they really mean it lol. I however have the replacement part in hand already. In my opinion I wouldnt bother sending the rifle back to SAI unless they intend to give you a free USGI extractor. Could have been the ammo I used.... ZQI

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My 2012 vintage SAI extractor is still in one piece. Have two GI back ups for it if it ever breaks.
you will probably never need it, my opinion, not based in any experience, just hearing about them breaking, is that they are made by injection molding and if there is an air bubble, it will break, likely pretty quickly, if it doesn't your probably good to go

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
LOL1 dont feel too bad. I went to the range today with my Scout Squad paid more than $1500 for it. Never shot it before. Shot 2 rounds and the extractor broke. Wasted $33 to get into the gun range. I did read that it should be the first thing you replace and I wanted to see how long it would last.... when they say replace it ... they really mean it lol. I however have the replacement part in hand already. In my opinion I wouldnt bother sending the rifle back to SAI unless they intend to give you a free USGI extractor. Could have been the ammo I used.... ZQI
Definitely not the ammo. Since Walmart put out the $9 price on ZQ it has been ALL I feed my rifle. 3 range trips, about 100 rounds, and my SAI factory extractor has yet to break.

....Watch it break next range visit because I said that...RNGR4

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I guess I'm a little luckier than you, my extractor broke at a round 400 rounds. My suggestion is to just replace the part yourself. I wouldn't send it back to SAI just so they can replace your broken extractor with another substandard part.

Kind of wondering what will happen when the finite supply of USGI extractors will run out, it will eventually happen and I don't know of any companies making new extractors or small parts. Hoping JRA & Bula Forge will take the lead in that.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts