M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Eye Master
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The adjustable M14 triggers that ShootingSight sells are NIW USGI triggers (Springfield 1953), which are re-worked on a surface grinder and with several different EDM operations to polish the sears, sharpen the sear edges, make new disconnectors, NiB coated, etc, etc. They make nice triggers, but unfortunately, the supply of NIW triggers has run dry.

So I am starting a new project to make machined from scratch triggers. Nothing cast or MIM, these will be machined from billet.

I'm way excited by the ideas that are floating around to make these triggers better than USGI ever was. For one, CNC milled means they will be more accurate, the pin holes will be precise fits to the pins, I can use aerospace alloys with better yield strength than was available in 1953, I can relocate the discon pin hole slightly to try and adjust pull weight. Lots of stuff where re-doing an existing trigger was never possible, but with new production you can leave extra material where you could only remove material when you were starting with a USGI trigger.

Another thing: I'll look at making a version where the trigger bow is rotated forward perhaps 30 degrees, so it is more ergonomic for the EBR or any other pistol grip stock.

Exciting possibilities!

·
Eye Master
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In case you are wondering about the 'notch', just under the sear, I have added that so I can get in and lap the entire sear surface right to the edge as one surface, without having to work the two side separately. I'm adding extra steel on the back side of the trigger, so it does not lose strength.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts