M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introduction. I'm not a big shooter but I am a gun enthusiast and do like to target shoot once in a while. I have shot trap, clay, small game hunted, more when I was a teenager, but I still enjoy deer hunting every winter. I'm here because after wanting one for some time, I finally bought a M1A about a year or two ago from a FFL dealer that I know. He said that he bought it from an estate and it was for sale. Since then, I have also sort of inherited another. I'd like to find out some info on them. I have sent an email to customer service at Springfield Armory just yesterday. First one, the SN is 034094. I field stripped it and the stock has some glass bedding under the receiver, it has the hooded peep rear sight, NM 064 front sight, trigger housing sn 7287030-G (not necessarily a G but don't know), but don't see markings on the barrel except for a 50 stamped at the receiver end and it's across, not parallel. Any ideas or maybe other markings I don't see, the barrel isn't stripped bare. Thanks for any info on it and i'll get into the other one in the future.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Welcome from Texas

Reactions: craig6

·
Registered
14,428 Posts
Your receiver was made around April of 1985. You can call SAI Customer Service to see if it left the factory as a receiver, barreled action or complete rifle.

The trigger housing is commercial.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,027 Posts
Welcome to the M14 Forum Craig 6, a picture really help answer many questions.

XXIV Corps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Introduction. I'm not a big shooter but I am a gun enthusiast and do like to target shoot once in a while. I have shot trap, clay, small game hunted, more when I was a teenager, but I still enjoy deer hunting every winter. I'm here because after wanting one for some time, I finally bought a M1A about a year or two ago from a FFL dealer that I know. He said that he bought it from an estate and it was for sale. Since then, I have also sort of inherited another. I'd like to find out some info on them. I have sent an email to customer service at Springfield Armory just yesterday. First one, the SN is 034094. I field stripped it and the stock has some glass bedding under the receiver, it has the hooded peep rear sight, NM 064 front sight, trigger housing sn 7287030-G (not necessarily a G but don't know), but don't see markings on the barrel except for a 50 stamped at the receiver end and it's across, not parallel. Any ideas or maybe other markings I don't see, the barrel isn't stripped bare. Thanks for any info on it and i'll get into the other one in the future.
Does anyone have a similar plain barrel that only has this "50" or similar marking? My guess would be a commercial barrel something like the trigger housing. The hammer is numbered with a "SA" on it. Waiting on Springfield's response.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Welcome from Alabama, If you like iron sight shooting join in our monthly fun challenge . Here is the link for info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does anyone have a similar plain barrel that only has this "50" or similar marking? My guess would be a commercial barrel something like the trigger housing. The hammer is numbered with a "SA" on it. Waiting on Springfield's response.
I got a response from SA; According to them, this one, sn 034094 left the factory in February 1995 as a SUPERMATCH .308.
SN 286401 left the factory in April 2012 as a LOADED BLACK .308. This one has a heavy wood stock & SM marked barrel.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.