M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the last and best Chinese M14s ever imported into the US.
It's still in the factory plastic bag and coated with cosmoline.

Pictured unopened between two other Poly 14s
The top one was used to build my MK14 CQB 16
The bottom was sold off

Opened, inspected and stashed away in a safe place GI5

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Can someone give me a little history regarding the polytech. I know very little about it but hear about them on this site a bit. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Very, Very nice.

I am officially jealous.

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everybody.

I have a domestication kit including a new TRW bolt stashed away with it.

Can someone give me a little history regarding the polytech.
I know very little about it but hear about them on this site a bit. Thanks!
Lee Emerson (Different) has compiled a plethora of data on Chinese M14s including their history.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Polytech M14S rifle were good deals 10-12 years ago. The fact that they need a bolt is a deal killer any more. I sold mine last year and no one hardly wanted it at the gunshow. I sold it as a package deal with my ak polytech underfolder. I broke even on that deal thanks to the highly sought after ak. They were good project rifles when parts were cheap, not anymore with good receivers on the market. Polys make nice rifle but they are hard to sell after a curtain price point.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Thanks everybody.

I have a domestication kit including a new TRW bolt stashed away with it.

Lee Emerson (Different) has compiled a plethora of data on Chinese M14s including their history.
Did your TRW bolt just drop in without machining the receiver?

bigbloc - I've had mine since the early 90's, and although it headspaces on the high side, it's still within the no-go range and shows little wear. I do watch it though, and have a bolt on hand just in case...

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It has been my experience that the Chinese M14s have been and remain the best overall value available to civilians even at $1K+. Forged receiver, forged 1-piece op rod, chrome lined barrel, 2-stage trigger group etc... Some of my SEI builds use the ChiCom op rod and trigger group (with MAX-PAK). These parts are as good as USGI.
Also, I know of a few owners that have fire thousands of rounds with the original bolt, they check the head space with NATO gauges often.

Don't hesitate to buy a ChiCom M14, just educate yourself and upgrade as you wish or as needed.

Did your TRW bolt just drop in without machining the receiver?
I'll have SEI do the bolt conversion. All of my M14 rifles/EBRs are built on either Poly Tech or Norinco receivers and SEI installed all TRW bolts during every build. I don't think the bolts 'dropped' in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently acquired it's cousin. Very late (Aug 93 if I read the code correctly) very clean almost NIB Poly. Have some issues with the rear sight, but a couple of parts should correct that. Only been to the range once, and the wind was howling like banshee that day. Accuracy tests will await better conditions. The $10 Korean mags worked fine, 100% reliable.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have fires 500+rd thru my Poly, no wear other than the finish on the bolt and the brass looks likes new. I think the "soft" bolt is a myth.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
ZeroO it is not a Myth. The bolt lug contact to receiver fit is not true on Polytech rifles made for the US market. You will get longer headspace after firing lots of rounds. This is well known. The M14 type rifle is strong and can for the most part take long headspace safely. Its short headspace that is really dangerous.

I am not bashing Polytech rifles, it just needs to be known that most of them in the US need work to make them safer and durable for long hard use. I had one and after working it over it was a shooter man. If you have to work one over at this time it is expensive with the cost of a GI bolt, labor, and the cost of shipping both ways to a good gunsmith.

Polytech rifles can run from good to bad in the terms of quailty. All must be judged on there own. They can be made nice for a price. Just remember these are Chinese rifles with NO warranty or anyone standing behind them like Springfield Inc.

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ZeroO it is not a Myth. The bolt lug contact to receiver fit is not true on Polytech rifles made for the US market. You will get longer headspace after firing lots of rounds. This is well known. The M14 type rifle is strong and can for the most part take long headspace safely. Its short headspace that is really dangerous.

Yep... I strongly recommend investing in a GI bolt conversion on any ChiCom M14 that you plan to shoot much.

I think LRB and others have new bolts that run le$$ than GI... get it done right and rock on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.