M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 68, retired, and bought a SA loaded (walnut, stainless) M1A Saturday.

I was in high school and collage ROTC In the 60's and had a M1 assigned to me (by serial number). Somehow I can't imagine the government doing this these days.

Bought a M1 in the 80's and have wanted a M1A ever since.

Was at my LGS picking up a HK Mark 23 (I'm a HK nut - have 10), and was starring at the new M1A hanging on the wall (as I did every visit). Owner said he wanted to move it and would let me have it for $1,635. So...

While handling it and rotating muzzle up and down, I hear something sliding back and forth in the gas tube. Do I have a problem?

·
Registered
280 Posts
First, welcome from Northern Virginia... This is truly a GREAT forum.
With the action locked open, as TNCoupe stated, the gas piston is sliding (this is a good thing). When the action is close (bolt fully home) you should no longer hear the piston sliding. It will be held in place by the OPROD.
A useful link is: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8JcgLh4PI4[/ame]
Also, rifle being new, "If you love it lube it"... another useful link on lubrication: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJyWO_ZV8tQ[/ame]
r/ BN

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I appricate the videos!

I feel better. Guess I'm a little paranoid since having trouble cycling the action and found the red plastic empty chamber indicator lodged in the trigger group.

Now I am concerned about my SAI 10 round mag after reading the thread on it. It is difficult to insert (empty), and I have to forcefully pull it out while holding the catch back. I'm not interested in 20 round mags.

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Welcome to the forum from central MS! YOu can always count on getting good advice from knowledgeable and courteous peole here.
And you would have something to look at if the piston did not slide when the action was open....

·
Registered
324 Posts
The twenty round magazine is longer, of course, and provides better leverage when inserting and extracting same. I, too, have a ten round magazine and it is a problem performing the above actions simply because there is less of it to grasp. So, I now have 40 USGI twenty round magazines. HTH

·
Registered
639 Posts
For some reason, the ten round mags do come tight. I had to jiggle it in. After a while, you can see where the coating wears off and you get shiny metal at the wear point. No big deal, it's just irritating at first.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You have just joined a group of what is collectively probably the best data base available about the M1A/M14 rifle platform. Not that I count myself as one of them although I do know the answer to your question about the gas piston.

Go to YouTube and do a search for Tony Ben's videos about maintaining your new rifle. You are going to have to spend a few dollars for the proper equipment to service the rifle but everything takes maintenance.

Also, you may find that you can not insert a fully loaded 10 round magazine into the rifle with the bolt closed. Seems to be a common issue with SA 10 round mags.

·
Registered
918 Posts
My ten round and twenty round mags were only tight in the sai plastic stock. Been fine since I changed it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts