M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 1980 spingfield M1A with a wilson arms barrel been wanting for 2yrs final got it,but first ammo I tried was privi PPU M80 145grn ,it was keyholing at 100yrds almost got a new barrel,lucky i tried some of my Federal 168 match. Never in my days have I had barrel that keyholed,pulled the 145s out of PPU and replaced with #3037 150gn.it shoots the pulled ammo at 1.5 -1.75 what a difference.

·
Premium Member
17,005 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

It's all smoke an mirrors anyway. I have shot a few thousand PPU 145 gn and had no problems. Have about 3K left in the stash. Sure hope they haven't gone bad in storage.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Do you happen to know the twist rate on that barrel? I do know that in some instances a lighter bullet weight doesn't work well with a heavier twist on the barrel and vice versa, but, I've also seen barrels that would shoot well no matter what you feed them. Perhaps one of the experts can chime in as I'd find the keyholing a bit extreme, poor accuracy maybe, but keyholing?

BTW, I've got some of that PPU and it shoots well out of my standard 1/12...

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Thats really odd. Only rifle I had keyhole was a 1-12 twist Colt SP1 with 62 grs AE loads. Keyholed at 25 yds! Usually a slow twist with heavy bullets might do that whereas a quick twist usually shoots anything, unless driving really light bullets really fast then they just might disintegrate, but they wont keyhole.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Thats really odd. Only rifle I had keyhole was a 1-12 twist Colt SP1 with 62 grs AE loads. Keyholed at 25 yds! Usually a slow twist with heavy bullets might do that whereas a quick twist usually shoots anything, unless driving really light bullets really fast then they just might disintegrate, but they wont keyhole.
This is exactly what I mean and I've seen that too! We actually had a known issue in the Army when we were transitioning from the M16A1 and to the M16A2, shooting 62 gr M855 from an A1 with 1/12 twist barrel was almost useless, but, M855 ammo was all that was in the supply chain at that point, and, we still had support units like the medics and cooks still issued with A1's. They'd either have to qualify on a 25 yard target and anything on paper was good enough, or, they'd have to be loaned an A2 for several soldiers to quality on, and so much for anyone having their basic battlefield zero!

And vice versa, accuracy was poor with 55 gr M193 from an M16A2 with 1/7 twist barrel, but it could still somewhat shoot. Thing is I've seen 1/7 twist barrels that could still shoot 45 grain bullets reasonably, sometimes you just have a really decent barrel that'll shoot almost anything...

Sorry for that hijack, seemed this thread kinda died and no one chimed in.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have to ask this, and in no way am I a ballistics expert whatsoever, just trying to understand with my limited knowledge and understanding. And the fact I enjoy these types of threads.

I understand what keyholing is or referred to on a paper target. I also understand many factors such as twist, bullet shape, and such that contribute to this happening.

I guess my question is I always referred to the round once it left the muzzle and began this toppling, flipping whatever you want to call it as yawing.

No one mentioned this but is this the correct terminology, or am I missing something? Or if anyone has a good link to read I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance, just brushing up and relearning a lot of things I read on this forum.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Yawing is correct for the bullet wobbling, but it wont neccessarily mean it will keyhole. Sort of like an arrow in flight, it does not just go straight "as an arrow", it yaws all the way.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yawing is correct for the bullet wobbling, but it wont neccessarily mean it will keyhole. Sort of like an arrow in flight, it does not just go straight "as an arrow", it yaws all the way.
As a former archer, (shoulder surgeries stopped that), that puts it into perspective. We know an arrow in flight flexs or yaws, yet can hit target perfectly. And we know as well if we don't have those perfect strikes in the target it is indication of something happening as it is leaving the rest, or with the arrow itself as in fetching could be hitting as an example.

So, then I will research more on keyholing then. Appreciate the reply and the analogy of the arrow in flight. As I say I enjoy these threads and although I don't post or reply I am ever learning and relearning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts