M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Arming teachers is a complex issue. Some tend to trivialize what is required. Firstly, there needs to be a screening process. Not everyone is suited for the responsibility associated with using deadly force. Many individuals do not possess the right mindset. There also needs to be good training requirements. Shooting an armed assailant in a school environment is not as simple as shooting a target on the square range. Both good judgment and good marksmanship skills are required. If an innocent student is killed or injured by an armed teacher, there will be hell to pay. Being aware of what is around your target and beyond takes on a new meaning in a school environment.

While I favor allowing teachers to be armed but I also believe it is a complex issue. I do not believe armed teachers are a substitute for a school security officer. They are only an additional layer of defense.
I generally agree, but what we see with mass shootings and what pro gun people have known for a while is that when you outsource safety to hired help, you cannot expect the same level of investment as when you leave it to those who are defending themselves.

While TX police may try to ‘strategize’ for an hour, a parent of a kid under attack or a teacher under fire would recognize that time is of the essence when your life is on the line.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Just to zoom out a bit:

Consistent once again with the prevailing sentiment of gun owners (I think or hope), the goal here is to not issue pistols to every teacher. It is to encourage responsible gun ownership and for those holding a weapon that can exact deadly force to take the burden of responsibility seriously. That means training and mental and technical discipline.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts