M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 NM M1A Loaded. I'm sick over this thing. Purchased it to compete in local Top Shot 4 gun competitions. Needed it for a 400 yard open sights gong shot to end the timer. I cannot get this rifle to operate. It has been to Springfield TWICE. I got it back and shot it yesterday, same crap basically have about 3k tied up in a bolt action. Yesterday I fired 20 rounds and the weapon only cycled correctly 3 rounds. The other 17 I had to cycle the bolt manually. It ejects the spent shell fine but will not strip the next round from the mag unless I pull the bolt back myself. I used 3 different mags and 4 different brands of ammo yesterday 5 PMC 150gr 5 American Eagle 168gr (made specifically for M1a) 5 Federal 147 gr and 5 of my hand loads. The mags were 10 rd Springfield 20 rd Springfield and a USGI 20 rd M14 mag. What can I do!!?? Springfield obviously does not employ gunsmiths that can figure out the problem. Who can I send this to in order to get it fixed!!?? Thanks in advance fellow patriots.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'd send it back again and tell them to either fix it or replace it. If they choose the repair route and it comes back again not operating correctly then I'd demand a replacement, no repair option. I'm thinkin' of lemon-law, wonder if that may come into play here?

Anyway, I'd stay on SAI's ass and have them honor their lifetime guarantee. Oh, and don't tell them that you shoot reloads.

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
Where are you located???? There are proper smiths all around the US.

JY Wolfe...NC
Ted Brown...OR
Ronnie Morris...TN
Isaac McCaskill...SC

Just to name a few.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in Southern Illinois. Going to be a bad day when I have to send a new rifle that is under warranty off to a gunsmith and pay to have it fixed. But that may be what it comes down to. Right now it's no better than a club to me.

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Starving???

Most short cycle problems are because the barrel gas port is not lined up to at least 70% of the gas cylinder, hand run a drill through the cyl from the bottom with a .075" dia, see if if passes into the bore, if not, drill it out.. make certain the piston is not in the cyl., Stop the drilling short of contacting the bore at the top... Happens many time when shims are used.... Art

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
When these rifles work they work well. When something goes wrong you will have migraines. Springfield is not much help either, they are like the really nice but inept neighbor who will set fire to your car trying to help you change a tire.

With an empty mag and the bolt locked back turn the rifle to where the muzzle is pointing straight up and look at the bottom of the gas cylinder. There is a little hole there and the piston should slide out of the way by force of gravity. Stick a tiny allen in there, tiniest you can find, or a toothpick even. It should poke all the way through inside the barrel and looking down the muzzle with a light in the chamber you should see it sticking up. If not then your gas cylinder isn't lined up right or the gas hole isn't drilled to the right size.

Another thing is that the op rod can rub on the inside of the stock and cause malfunctions. Or if it isn't bedded right that can throw things all over the place function wise (if it is a National Match model, not a Loaded Model, it is bedded from the factory).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Are the bolt and receiver properly greased? I clean my barrel after each shooting but only a major cleaning every 4-5 times. Mine will start to short cycle when the lubrication get's low. The rifle will not operate at all if there isn't enough lubrication to slam the bolt closed.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
2014 NM M1A Loaded. I'm sick over this thing. Purchased it to compete in local Top Shot 4 gun competitions. Needed it for a 400 yard open sights gong shot to end the timer. I cannot get this rifle to operate. It has been to Springfield TWICE. I got it back and shot it yesterday, same crap basically have about 3k tied up in a bolt action. Yesterday I fired 20 rounds and the weapon only cycled correctly 3 rounds. The other 17 I had to cycle the bolt manually. It ejects the spent shell fine but will not strip the next round from the mag unless I pull the bolt back myself. I used 3 different mags and 4 different brands of ammo yesterday 5 PMC 150gr 5 American Eagle 168gr (made specifically for M1a) 5 Federal 147 gr and 5 of my hand loads. The mags were 10 rd Springfield 20 rd Springfield and a USGI 20 rd M14 mag. What can I do!!?? Springfield obviously does not employ gunsmiths that can figure out the problem. Who can I send this to in order to get it fixed!!?? Thanks in advance fellow patriots.
What did they fix the first two times? What does the work order/invoice say?

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I saw screw the idea of sending his M-1A to someone else. The much vaunted Springfield life time warranty is the only reason these days to buy a Sprinfield Armory M-1A. For not that much more $ you can build one that will work right from the get go. Send that sucker back to SAI again and tell them to relick their Calf AGAIN. Keep on sending it back until they get tired of it and replace it with a non lemon...

7th

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
Reactions: Seventh Fleet

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
how is the oprod guide's alignment? also verify there is binding in the oprod tab in the receiver. Seem like I have also read where out of spec trigger groups can cause cycling issues sometimes. Borrowing a known good trigger group from a buddy may help eliminate or highlight this as an issue. I tend to agree about sending it back and putting some pressure on them. That is an expensive rifle to be causing you that much grief.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Have you checked the gas shut off valve? I may be over simplifying it but it would be one of the first things I'd check, simply for the fact I've hardly ever check it myself.

Best of luck sorting it out.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
If the gas valve was shut, you wouldn't get any semi-auto fire. Follow the suggestions above before you send it off.
1. Is the gas cylinder aligned? Follow Art's suggestion.
2. Will it pass the tilt test? If not, you may have found part of the problem.
3. SAI has a bulletproof warranty. Follow the contacts resources above at SAI if 1 & 2 are an issue. Why pay extra to let someone else fix it? If it's a lemon, ask for a replacement.
4. Find someone in your area familiar with the platform. They may spot something everyone else missed.
5. Adjusting the gas system doesn't mean an adjustable gas plug.

Good luck. This is a fun rifle to shoot and once it's sorted out you will have fun! I once had a bbl install come back with no feed ramps cut in the bbl. That was a fun one. Stuff happens...

Bruce

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I think that I remember a few weeks back that another member was having the same problem. He cleaned the gas piston and gas block with the correct drill bit and the thing ran like a champ. This is just what I was thinking. Hope it works.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Are the bolt and receiver properly greased? I clean my barrel after each shooting but only a major cleaning every 4-5 times. Mine will start to short cycle when the lubrication get's low. The rifle will not operate at all if there isn't enough lubrication to slam the bolt closed.
+1

Tonyben videos:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJyWO_ZV8tQ[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPS9wc_t7-o[/ame]

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.