M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
after selling my Norinco 18.5inch rifle, I am now on the prowl for a 22inch match grade m1a. I am hoping to compete (for fun, I know I suck) in some matches and just have some fun, and bring it hunting with me (weight doesn't matter, I'm no softie).

I have found a brand new springfield national match with stainless steel barrel and a walnut stock, for $1680, including free shipping.

I have also found a brand new springfield super match m1a rifle for $2250, this is the one with the oversized walnut stock and douglas barrel.

Now, the real problem.. deciding which one to purchase!

Accuracy is my main deciding factor, with money coming in as a close second. As I am a college student (4 months left yay) Who has car payments, insurance, lives on his own, and is saving up for a six-plex apartment building downpayment.

decide for me?
Cheers Riley

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
You have to get pretty good in solid positions before you will notice the difference in how they can shoot.

Get the NM and a lot of match grade ammo for practice.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
+1 on the advise from MAC. I might even go so far as to say look for a nice used loaded model, save more $$ and buy more ammo.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
NM not as accurate but much lighter, A SM will be 1" to 1.5" with the right ammo but heavy, NM with the right ammo can shoot 1.5" maybe 2" in my guesstimations. i say go with the NM until you really get hooked into competition, then get the 12lb SM.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Dump the "apartment" idea...
Belay that "Dump the apartment" order!

Get that apartment and in a few years you will be able to buy any M1A you want with any amount of ammo you desire.

Good investment for a young college student -- smart thinking for the future!

+1 on the NM or Loaded models...leaves more cash for ammo.

Regards,
D1

·
Registered
871 Posts
This is a hard one to answer. It all depends on what you want in a rifle. For me, I wanted a light but accurate rifle. I ended up with a Standard a few years ago and with the help and lots of reading on this forum, Mr Fisher, Tony with great videos, Nez , and many others thanks , I've added and changed parts to enhance it to about NM levels . with my hand loads I'm shooting solid 1"-1 1/2" groups with my bad eyes off the bench. At the range shooting positions I can't group as well as say a 16 pound rifle but that's not what I wanted with this rifle. Now if all I was going to be using it for was service rifle matches I would own a Super Match. So it's all in what you are looking for.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
If you're going to be the 'super' for that apartment, then forget the M1a and buy TOOLS that you'll need. Plumbing, floor finishing, carpentry, painting, carpet cleaning, etc.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Concerning the bedded stock, you should only be removing the action from the stock to re-bed or re-barrel. You will be able to clean and maintain the action in the stock.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you're going to be the 'super' for that apartment, then forget the M1a and buy TOOLS that you'll need. Plumbing, floor finishing, carpentry, painting, carpet cleaning, etc.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
Thankfully it runs in my family, as my parents owns a few apartment buildings. I have been given the "green light" on the topic of borrowing his tools when I buy my first building GI1

Cheers,
Riley.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Buy the super match

Buy the super match. That is a great price on the super match. Buy it. For highpower competition that is what you want; otherwise, you will just wind up wanting to upgrade it later like I did.. Buy it, buy it, buy it. (Did I mention that I think you should buy it)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts