M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
New member form California here. Always wanted an M1 Garrand or M1a and just put a Springfield standard walnut in gun jail here in California. I can't pick it up until a week from friday so I'll be hanging out here in the mean time reading and learning. Hope to be able to contribute soon and maybe meet some of you eventually.
Emilio

·
Administrator
17,411 Posts
Welcome to the M14 Forum epetrillo. Just make yourself at home here. Check out the unique forums, and let us hear from you often.

DI5

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Welcome from Texas, epetrillo. Congratulations on acquiring your M1a.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the welcomes. I will be doing a lot of reading over the next 10 days while I wait to get my hands on my new rifle. The little reading I've done so far shows me I've got a lot to learn. At first glance getting the most out of the M14/M1A seems a little daunting and more complicated than any other gun I have owned so I'll take my time, shoot a lot and read a lot.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Welcome from SOCAL close to the beach....The M1 Garand and the M14 are essentially the same rifle, made by the same designer-John Garand. Use either Lubriplate 130A grease or white lithium waterproof high temp grease from any auto parts store to lube ALL metal to metal parts; bolt, bolt recess area in receiver, charging handle, recoil spring & guide, also the operating rod and rod guide, hammer strike face and hammer. Then use clp on the trigger group spring and pins. Gotta' protect "Betsy", because' she's a high dollar girl and she enjoys the finer things in life, plus it's hard to find any Ca. version M14's/M1A's period. Semper Fi....Oh btw, get an old school od green cotton sling($15.00) not a modern nylon GI sling and a GI cleaning kit($20-25.00) from ebay and or amazom.....

·
Super Moderator
11,121 Posts
Welcome, from the free state of Oregon! The M14/M1A is a mysterious rifle which, unlike black poodle poppers, has a soul...

Fortunately, for you, there's a wealth of knowledge on this forum which is where I learned everything I know about these rifles. As payback to the good members here, I've gone through many efforts to reveal her secrets to anyone who can click the link in my signature.

Your M1A may shoot well right out of the box, or it may not. And all of us here have a different definition of what it means to "shoot well." Let us know what you'd like to do with the rifle and we'll help you get there. If the rifle isn't shooting to your expectations, or if there are any mechanical issues, 95% of the time, it's something minor that you can fix yourself. And again, we'll show you how.

We all started somewhere. Enjoy the journey.

Tony.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi,
New member form California here. Always wanted an M1 Garrand or M1a and just put a Springfield standard walnut in gun jail here in California. I can't pick it up until a week from friday so I'll be hanging out here in the mean time reading and learning. Hope to be able to contribute soon and maybe meet some of you eventually.
Emilio
Greetings from Northern California! Good choice on a fine rifle, now the challege is finding affordable, quality food for it!

Use the resources available here and the search function if you plan on buying surplus 7.62x51 NATO. Stay away from S&B .308 in the green boxes and '60's Santa Barbara cetme ammo. Also certain years and types of ammo from South America should be avoided like the Plague!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I will second TDA1970's vote for grease. I was amazed at the improvement in my M1A's performance and accuracy after a grease job. Pay attention to your tightness of the stock ferule and barrel band. A thin copper shim between the stock and ferrule made a difference for me. My walnut stock new out of the box was unfinished and like a sponge waiting to soak up everything it touched. Tung oil or something similar really makes the walnut stock develop a personality.

Welcome to the forum. There are many of us newcomers here trying to learn more, and there is information on this forum about every issue I've encountered. Its better to research, read, and learn from previous postings before blurting out a question previously addressed. If you show you've done your homework first most everyone is more than willing to help solve a problem. Folk like TonyBen and RAMMAC are always eager to help new guys. There are some that like to try to make you feel stupid for asking a good question or for sharing your experiences. Ignore them. I think they wannabe "Experts" but ain't there yet.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
The best thing for you to getup to speed on the M1A/M14 is to view all of tonyben's m14 tutorials. They're clear ,concise, and take you from disassembly to assembly, proper lubrication points, and troubleshooting your rifle. Save yourself a lot of learning the hard way, tonyben does it right . Take my word for it, I've owned M1A's since the 80's.Now watch tonybens videos, lube your rifle correctly, buy some ammo and give us a range report on that bad boy

Reactions: tonyben
1 - 20 of 24 Posts