M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning

I am a new member from California. I purchased an M1A SOCOM 16 about a year ago.
I have some familiarity with the M14 from being in the service. I had the opportunity to competition shoot with the M14 while in the USMC in the late 80s. Since then I had wanted an M1A but did not have the funds until recently.

I have only made two modifications to my new rifle. I put a handguard/forward mount from M14.ca out of Canada on the rifle and mounted a Aimpoint T2 sight on it. I also changed the guide rod to a Smith enterprises guide rod.

I am very impressed with this rifle so far. In March I had the opportunity to take it to a rifle class at Front Sight. I put over 500 round through it without one malfunction.

I have started working up handloads for the gun. I got a chance to chronograph a few loads two days ago. I have attached the target. The load and velocities are listed on the target. I shot all loads on the same target so I could see where they hit in relation to each other. The gun is sighted in with Federal 175 grn match ammo. I fired two rounds with that to make sure I was still sighted in and check the velocities on that ammo as a base. The match ammo and my handloads are much more accurate than military grade ammo.

The temp was 102. I did this on purpose to see how they worked in an extreme temp. All shots were with the T2, so no magnification.

Sorry kinda long winded. Have a good day.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,174 Posts
Welcome aboard Jay, pull up an old ammunition crate and sit awhile. This here Gun Board is a great place for information on our beloved M14 Battlerifle and military surplus ammunition for feeding her. Again welcome aboard and have yourself a great week. Thank you for your service to our country, America is better off because of you.

XXIV Corps

Reactions: JayCStella

·
Registered
268 Posts
Welcome. Looks like the CASM 14 is holding steady. I recently exchanged 1 for the Springfield Gen 3 that came with my rifle. Am putting the leatherwood ART IV on it. I would be very happy with groups 2,3 and 4.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Welcome from Texas

Reactions: JayCStella

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome. Looks like the CASM 14 is holding steady. I recently exchanged 1 for the Springfield Gen 3 that came with my rifle. Am putting the leatherwood ART IV on it. I would be very happy with groups 2,3 and 4.
Oneshy1 is the ART IV an older 3-9 power scope?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts