M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello m14forum!

My name is Cale and as of yesterday (2014/08/16) I am the owner of my first long sought after Springfield Armory M1a! I found it used in Macon and got it at a steal for about 1100 with box, 20rnd box mag and papers (minus a manual). I looked at this forum a lot but never wanted to join because I didn't feel right without the hardware in hand.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello to everyone and I hope to be an active member and learn as much as I can...hopefully without misinformation *coughAR15.COMcough*.

First thing first though.. I am thinking about mounting a scope but as of right now the irons are a beautiful thing and very accurate.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Welcome from MN, she looks good in black.ICONCOOL

Reactions: Usmc2847

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nice score on the rifle, Cale! Texas welcomes you to the forum!

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
Another welcome from Texas , Cale. Congratulations on your rifle, You came to the right place.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome aboard. I want to be the first to warn you that you are gonna want a USGI stock (or several), and more M1A/M14s.
Yes sir that is the first thing I wanted to start asking about was stock repalcements.. I like the black and it is a good look... but I also like that beautiful walnut. Where should I begin looking? I see this as being a long and expensive journey haha!

Thank you for all of the warm greetings! Sounds like I should be in Texas instead of Georgia!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
There are two members here who do amazing work when it comes to refinishing USGI stocks, they are Doug Carlton and M1Army. Send them a PM, they may have something on their workbench that may be what you're looking for. Here's some examples of their work and sorry if I've left any other stock refinishers out.

From Doug
http://m14forum.com/px/158591-finished-usgi-m14-stocks.html

I'm loving the Black King Snake!

From M1Army

http://m14forum.com/stock/161870-preview-current-batch-usgi-stocks.html

That green one was almost mine!

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
What up SUN!
Bassett mount....look em up online.
Vorex PST scope. Look em up online.

I would get really familar with the irons and your come ups. Irons are wayyyyyy fun. Accurate too.

Dutch

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are two members here who do amazing work when it comes to refinishing USGI stocks, they are Doug Cartlon and M1Army. Send them a PM, they may have something on their workbench that may be what you're looking for. Here's some examples of their work and sorry if I've left any other stock refinishers out.

From Doug
http://m14forum.com/px/158591-finished-usgi-m14-stocks.html

I'm loving the Black King Snake!

From M1Army

http://m14forum.com/stock/161870-preview-current-batch-usgi-stocks.html

That green one was almost mine!

Good lord those are beautiful! I'll be sure to give those guys a shout and I am very very appreciative of the info and replies from everyone.

In regards to the stock, I do want to get this black one off because it feels kind of cheap even though I love it. I've been youtubing (is that a word?) and though I take anything youtube people say with a grain of salt, I still read here and watch to start learning. I figured the stock will be the first to go and in response to thedutchman, I plan to run irons for awhile until I get at least the stock changed out.

I did the whole iron sight thing on the m16 and always shot expert (got the Marine Online data to proove it lol) So iron sights are very friendly to me. I will eventually go for the scope and the Bassett mount looks very appealing since I get to keep my irons (that is my understanding).

Anyway, as the weeks and months go by I will be constantly prying information from you guys and I very much look forward to everything you all have to offer and hope I can return the favor to others down the road as I learn more.

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
That is a standard right?

Can't go wrong with that! You will enjoy that rifle. Iron sights are the way to go. You came to the best forum for getting information regarding your M1A/M14 rifle!

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Welcome aboard

And if you use the search function you will find plenty info on mounts and scopes for the M1A/M14 on these pages. The general consensus is the Bassett for those who like to take their scope on and off regularly, and for a more permanent mounting solution the Sadlak mount.

I'm partial to the irons myself but I do have some glass on a couple of my M1A/M14's

·
Registered
42 Posts
Welcome. I've been on the site over a year and there is pretty much everything you need to know on these forums. The only recommendation I would give is to start saving for your next M14 build now!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You guys are pretty legit - I can appreciate that! I was afraid this would be another arfcom cork sniffer website :/.

The first thing I wanted to really focus on for this rifle will be the stock. Even if it's a beat up stock, I would love to get a walnut stock mainly for the look. As a said before this rifle was used and theirfore able to be got at a bargain.

Thank you so much for all of the replies guys! It's time to start prowling the forums here!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
You guys are pretty legit - I can appreciate that! I was afraid this would be another arfcom cork sniffer website :/.

The first thing I wanted to really focus on for this rifle will be the stock. Even if it's a beat up stock, I would love to get a walnut stock mainly for the look. As a said before this rifle was used and theirfore able to be got at a bargain.

Thank you so much for all of the replies guys! It's time to start prowling the forums here!
As was mentioned in a previous post Doug and M1Army can get you into a real looker of a stock. Also don't discount the Birch, they are quite nice also. If you are the hands on 'do-it-yerself' type, you can order stocks and GI handguards from FredsM14stocks.com and refinish them to your liking. Freds has a "Vietnam special" that comes with a well worn stock, sling and hand guard all for $25 and shipping, you play the lotto with those stocks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As was mentioned in a previous post Doug and M1Army can get you into a real looker of a stock. Also don't discount the Birch, they are quite nice also. If you are the hands on 'do-it-yerself' type, you can order stocks and GI handguards from FredsM14stocks.com and refinish them to your liking. Freds has a "Vietnam special" that comes with a well worn stock, sling and hand guard all for $25 and shipping, you play the lotto with those stocks.

Some people seem to not like fred because he takes a long time? I've seen people saying over a month or some sorts... but boy arent those stocks cheap!

I do woodworking (guitar building) so lightly sanding and refinishing the stock would be an adventure for me if anything. Maybe I will order from him and start my journey there...

...I have seen a lot of people diss the standard m1a from SPA saying they have poor accuracy and you need to modify this part and that part and change this and that... I won't know until I take mine out to shoot but what is the deal with (youtube) people saying this? If I ever learned anythinf from hunting and the military, it's the indian, now the bow.

Thanks guys and I'll check fred's again for that special.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts