M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I joined a couple of weeks ago to ask for some advise but neglected to introduce myself. I got some pretty helpful advise and found so much to look at that now I don't seem to be able to keep off this site!

I'm ex NZ Army and pretty keen on hunting, the outdoors and your version of Football (American Football).

Glad to have found such a fantastic resource full of such good company.

Cheers,

BC

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,621 Posts
Welcome on board kiwigrunt, pull up an old ammunition crate and sit awhile. This here Gun Board is a great place for information on our beloved M14 Battlerifle and military surplus ammunition for feeding her. Again welcome on board and have yourself a great week ahead. Thank you for your service to your country, New Zealand is better off because of you Sir.

DI5

Reactions: kiwigrunt

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
Welcome from Texas, kiwigrunt. We had another Kiwi join up a couple weeks ago .

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Welcome from Southern IL.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Welcome to the forum, thanks for joining! What are gun laws like in NZ as it pertains to m14's?
In NZ you can own most rifles inclusive of the m14 on a basic firearms licence. Semi-auto rifles are only allowed to have a 7 round capacity (Pain in the ass owning a m14, working on blocking a 20 rnd mag so I can apply proper marksmanship) and you cannot have a pistol grip. however they have stocks that have pistol grips that are attached by an extra part on the stock so instead of pistol grip it is technically a big stock with a hole cut in it and that gets around that law.(see attached link of AR15 stock http://www.guncity.com/content.asp?...d=171548&resizeTo=300&quality=80&prdID=241684)

The licence process is easy as, a police check (I think you are screwed if you have committed a violent crime but ok for most other stuff) and a 2 hour gun safety course and a test on how not to shoot yourself/other people. There are further requirements for different licences to own military rifles, hand guns, etc.

Norinco m-14/M1a's are pretty good value for money here and becoming more popular. There are a few Springfield Armory ones but they cost about $3-4000 instead of $6-800 like the Norincos. Parts are a pain in the ass in my experience making upgrades hard. Biggest issue is the Mags as you can only buy 5 or 20 round mags. Its fine to own a 20 round mag but if you get caught anywhere other than a service rifle shooting club with it in your rifle you will get in a world of hurt from the law man. They also run for about $200 per 20 rnd mag! I am currently looking at buying a few online and putting a stop in it limiting it to 7 round capacity. So if anyone has done this that would be cool to hear about it.

Other than m-14s there are a lot of bolt action rifles about. Popular Semi-autos are SKS, and AR15's. Although there are a lot more around. Military uses the Steyr AUG (Australian made), I loved it and would own one in a heartbeat if I had the money but they cost around twice as much as an AR15 with less ability to modify and make look "cool" so there are not many on civi-street.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts