M14 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon All,
I am a new member. I am from British Columbia Canada and after lots of lurking and research just bought my first chinese m14/m1a knockoff (polytech/Norinco m305). I served for 4 years as an infantry soldier before discharging in 2011 for another "service" career. I chose the m14 for the versatility. Reliable, weather resistant, many modifications and tuning is available, I can turn it into a SHTF gun and it will still be an effective hunting weapon for my big game needs (bear, moose, deer). I can make it accurate enough to be able to hunt sheep and goat if I want as well. Best of all it is non restricted there is also a way I can avoid the 5 round mag limit that Canada has for Semi Automatics since Australia International Arms made an Enfield whose 10 round mag happens to fit in the m305, bumping my capacity to 10 rounds. Since the mag wasn't made for the m14, I can use it with all 10 rounds legally.

Now before everyone goes and hates on the Chinese version and supporting China, the reason I got it was it cost 480$ and I got a chrome lined barrel and forged receiver. Much of the rest will be upgraded gradually with USGI or canadian built parts. The reason I didn't go with the SAI m1a is in Canada they are over 2000 each, and there is still a bunch of upgrades I would like to do.

First thing to fix will be accuracy. I am looking at doing the inexpensive mods first. After the spring and the spring guide what would you suggest (other than everything, that will take a while).

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Welcome from Texas,Gibsorz . Glad to have you and your norinco, lots of guys here have them . $480 is a deal, we used to get them for that price 20 odd years ago , before they were banned from import. Like 49SFS06 I' d buy one for that price now.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Welcome from MN.

·
Administrator
17,768 Posts
Welcome on board Gibsorz, pull up an old ammunition crate and sit awhile. This here Gun Board is a great place for information on our beloved M14 Battlerifle and military surplus ammunition for feeding her. Again welcome on board and have yourself a great week ahead. Thank you for your service to your country, Canada is better off because of you.

DI5

·
Super Moderator
3,565 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Roswell, Georgia!

Enjoy that new rifle!

M1Army

·
Banned
2,951 Posts
Welcome from the FREE STATE OF IDAHO!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Welcome from Oregon!

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Welcome from Southern IL. No worries on the Polytech and like the guys above stated you got a deal.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Welcome Gibsorz. I am sharing mags between my M1A and my AIA No4Mk4 too.
Wolf

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Thanks for your service and welcome to the best M14 forum available.

I am also a former Canuck "ground pounder" living in BC.
Us Canucks have a unique perspective on the M14 and from your first post, you understand why. Thanks to the differences in American and Canadian import regulations, the Chinese M14 clones are a fantastic bargain up here.

BUT ...
Some of the newer models definitely need to be carefully inspected for SAFETY. I HAVE SEEN THREE OF THESE BRAND NEW CHINESE M14 RIFLES THAT HAD BAD SAFETIES!!!

Make sure you do a hammer follow test and safety test as your first priority.

There is a wealth of knowledge here and elsewhere about the Chinese M14 rifles. I consider these as a great foundation for creative customising. Enjoy your new rifle and customise it into exactly what you want...
LAZ 1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is that test the same as the c7/m16 function test, no mag, rack, safety on, pull trigger (no click), safety off, pull trigger (click), hold trigger, rack, nothing happens, slowly release trigger, thunk, pull trigger, click.

Ok nothing technical, but shorter to write.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Is that test the same as the c7/m16 function test, no mag, rack, safety on, pull trigger (no click), safety off, pull trigger (click), hold trigger, rack, nothing happens, slowly release trigger, thunk, pull trigger, click.

Ok nothing technical, but shorter to write.
EXACTLY!!
However,
with one brand new Chinese 14,
taking the safety off safe caused the hammer to drop.
NOT GOOD.
Sounds like you have everything well under control.
(;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Oh scary!! I did the function test before walking out of wanstalls with it, so all good, just have to do it after I reassemble from cleaning all of this absurd amount of oil off and put the grease on (should be grease right? Steel on steel is always grease to my knowledge).

Also thanks everyone for the welcome. Part of the reason I chose this forum is because it appeared friendly and respectful, something I cannot say about all I visited while looking for info on my next gun purchase.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Congrats on the new rifle and great deal -- if I could snag one at that price, I would too!

Spent a couple years in Cold Lake with some of your friends. Good people and truly a 'career highlight' for me!

Welcome aboard!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts