M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cold weather keeping me inside today and I've been checking out gun forums.

I've been interested in military rifles all my life (I'm 63). Got an M-1 Garand and a 1903A3 from CMP but have been wondering if I ought to modernize.

I could sell both those and the assorted accessories and start all over with a 7.62 x 51 caliber rifle.

I guess my first question is how do folks like their M-14 style rifles compared to the Garand?

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
Welcome aboard, smithman 10, first we love our M14's, second never sell a rifle especially an M1. Buy don't sell! GI2GI2 I know you will enjoy the forums and being here with us, have fun.

-

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
+1 with Federal. Take the time, keep what you have and add to the lot. Variety is the spice of life............. You will find we like these rifles a lot, have a good time and welcome to the forum from NorCal.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Welcome, stick around and read some of the posts. Hang on to your other GI guns. Check the PX on this forum, you could find your M1-A there.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've been interested in military rifles all my life (I'm 63). Got an M-1 Garand and a 1903A3 from CMP but have been wondering if I ought to modernize.

I could sell both those and the assorted accessories and start all over with a 7.62 x 51 caliber rifle.

I guess my first question is how do folks like their M-14 style rifles compared to the Garand?
Welcome aboard! I prefer the M-14 over the Garand. The M-14 is just as powerful but has less recoil. I find it easier to hold on target. It looks awesome. I had to procure the parts for my M-14, so I have an attachment to it unlike the M-1. At dinner one night I brought up selling my M-1 and everyone stopped eating. From my 3 sons I discovered that selling is not an option. GI8

·
Registered
708 Posts
Own both. Something about the mystique of the last of the American battle rifles. Before civilians/industry decided for the military (McNamara-may he rot in hell) what the "good idea fairy" told them should be issued. M-1: Love it for all it did in WW2. Plus my grandfather used it on the Krauts. The "Thunder Lizard" beacuse it is one heck of a rifle. Not to mention she still has legs on in the Mk14/ M-14 EBR.
Biggest plus? No platic or aluminum! Steel and walnut baby! Just like the long rifles of the American Revolution!

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Welcome to the forum, don't sell, just buy, enjoy.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
At dinner one night I brought up selling my M-1 and everyone stopped eating. From my 3 sons I discovered that selling is not an option. GI8
Been There...Done That!
They Don't Throw Any $ In The Pot!
They Don't Buy Ammo 'By The Case'...

But Just Say Out Loud You Are Thinking About Selling 'A Gun' !? GI8 GI9 GITEN

(Just Part Of Being 'DAD, I Guess...)

GI6

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'd sell a kidney before I got rid of any of my GI rifles to finance a new purchase.
You don't want to be the guy that says " I used to have XXXX, wish I'd never sold it".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts