M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, My names Trey, Im new to these boards but Ive been reading the post here for a while. learning all I can from those who know. Ive got a SA loaded M1-A Ive had for about two years and its a real treat to get to go and shoot it. My question is about headspacing. So you learn how to use a headspace guage. Good. So....what is to be done with a rifle that fails the guage to get it right ? I just dont see where anything can be adjusted or tweeked to get the spacing right. Theres nothing wrong with my rifle. Just thinking.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Bullet,
Headspace can be to long or to short. Mostly we hear about headspace that is to long. In the case of the M14 rifle with a chrome lined barrel, the first thing to try is swaping bolts in an attempt to achieve proper headspace. If this is not possible then you are most likely going to have to rebarrel the rifle with a commercial barrel and ream the chamber to achieve the proper headspace. This was the case with a preban ArmsCorp that I purchased. I sent it to Ron smith and he put a commercial barrel on it in order to headspace the rifle. In the case of to little headspace, again swaping bolts or rebarreling will correct this problem. Sometimes it is possible to lap the bolt and receiver a little to get correct headspace. HTH.

Regards

Ox

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
O.K. I was wanting to build another M-14. It would probably be wise to have someone build me a reciever, barrel, bolt combo to start off with ? I could handle the rest.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Trey:

Having a receiver/barrel/bolt assembly is a GREAT start! You will have a great time putting this rifle together... As Oxmix pointed out, those are critical areas requiring specialized tools and best performed by someone with a lot of experience... There are those who have studied and mastered barrel installation, bolt lapping and headspacing bolt/barrels, however, they have worked hard at learning this skill and usually with a good size expense to boot for the tools and equipment needed for this...

After you get your receiver, bolt and barrel assembly, you will have a good base to complete your project. Sounds like a good place to start IMHO...

Have fun! Take your time and I am sure you will end up with a treasure that will give you great satisfaction.

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts