M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my new SA M1A arrived today. Overall Im pleased but after having the loaded I was a little spoiled. I got a TRW barrel dated 12/63 thats cool. GI gas cyl. FH rings like a bell...good. I was hopeing for a GI bolt and Trigger assem. But no. But that can be changed. No biggy. I got it home and tore the whole thing down and cleaned out all the factory grease and oil. It was loaded down too. When I put it all back together I noticed the action was a little rough. Draggy. I got to looking and with the bolt in the locked back position it seemed that the OP rod was bent. The draggyness was the spring not entering the OP rod guide square. In the locked back pos. there was a 1/16 gap in the area between the rod and the track of the reciever. I compared this to the other rifle and told myself that "this things bent" I fiddled with it and tweeked it some and got it better but I may be sending it back to SA for a new Op rod. Opinions ?

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Bullet:

Congrats on your new rifle!!! Sorry to hear about the op rod...

Without seeing it, it is a bit hard to say, but if you suspect that the op rod is not "true", then I would send it back to get a new one.

If they will send you one and let you keep the old one, then you will have one to fiddle with... good observation that you made... it could have been malfunction galore!!!

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Tom
Accually Ive been fiddleing with it some more today. Its the thin portion on the back half that was out of whack. I finally got it right. Just been gently bending and tweeking SLOWLY . The OP rods glideing smooth now with no binding or gaps. Im going to try it and as long as it dont jump off the track it should be good to go. LOL But I had another good thing happen with it last night. The stock it came with was advertized as walnut. Turned out to be really a birch with an ugly walnut stain. So last night I decided to strip it and low and behold its a tiger. Not as pretty a tiger as the one I put on it but tiger non the less. More updates to come. The more I mess with it the more it grows on me LOL.

·
Registered
25 Posts
NEW M1A

I picked up my new loaded last friday. I went to clean it up and found two cracks under pistol grip. Great rifle but i told springfield armory thay need better quality control. :idea:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive been hearing about some quality issues with Springfield lately. I got my loaded about 2 years ago and its been a flawless operator. I mean not one failure to feed, extract, fire, nothing. At all. If Ive got the Op rod fixed on this new one I shouldnt have any trouble with it as well. I cant see any other problems. I need to get out there and put er through its paces. Three or four helpings of 7.62mm and a swab to wash it down and Ill know. :lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
new M1A

Once in a while thay will let a rifle leave the factory no good. Anyway thay are fixing the problem. Like i said its a great rifle. :lol:

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Hi Bullet:

A birch tiger stock, eh? 8) Very Cool, Sir!

Glad your op rod is getting straightened out (pun intended)! :lol: Careful in that area, it can easily be damaged...

I've been pretty fortunate with the SA rifles that I got and all are running fine... and SA has been very helpful when I have called so far. I hope your new rifle shoots as good as she sounds!

Good Luck and Happy Shooting!

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went out to try the new rifle this weekend. Fired 200 rounds through it. OUTSTANDING ! ! to say the least. This rifle is a real shooter. 40 year old TRW barrel groups touching at 25 meters. I mean all of them and I dont even have to try hard. Groups fit inside a dime! This ones alot easier to handle than the loaded. Lighter mainly. Operating rod function flawlessly. Shot Hirtenberger out of it. Shot so good I put my spare NM sights on it. Another satified customer. TREY

·
Banned
354 Posts
I bought a loaded M1A about a year ago. Out of the box it jammed all the time. This was a shock being my army one in Viet Nan Never jamed. WELL: after about 300 rounds the thing started running rounds through like shelled corn. Now it never Jams ! I don't care if its port. or South African or what, It works great.....SP/4 Twiggy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts