M14 Forum banner

New M1A shooter, Need Ammo Help

1558 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Starbreaker
Hey guys. Need some help with bullets. Something I've never encountered before.

The other day I picked up my Springfield M1A and two boxes of Winchester Super X CXP2 round for it. They appear to be some kind of hollow points. The jacketing extends all the way up to the last 1/8th of the actual bullet, of which the tip is lead.

The issue is with the lead tips. About half of them are perfectly fine. The tips are uniform and look nice. About half of them have nicks or divots in the lead tip. Two of them really have me worried; they appear "mushroomed," for lack of a better term, almost like someone hit the tip with a hammer.

My question is, how bad are these? The "mushroomed" ones I don;t trust. They look like they'd scratch the hell out of my barrel. But the ones with the minor damage look like they'd be shootable, if not very accurate. I'd upload some pics, but my camera phone can;t really grab details this small.

Like I said, I've never shot rounds like these before. All other .308 or 7.62x51 I've ever shot has been FMJ.

Thanks in advance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Banned
753 Posts
Post a pic of what you bought, and don't buy any more commercial stuff. A lot of it is over-pressured for gas guns. Only buy surplus or NATO stuff.

Others will soon chime in with their .02.

Forgot... WELCOME to the forum. You've come to right place with your questions!

· Registered
10,983 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that just the standard Winchester Power Point ammunition? Regardless, the lead isn't going to hurt the barrel but it wont help your precision.

Which bullet weight are you using? I know that they make a 150gr and a 180gr cartridge, the 180gr is a tad heavy for regular fodder for the M1A and it is pushing the chamber pressure up toward the max. In fact, depending on what barrel length they used for their velocity testing, the 180gr cartridge could be producing pressures right at 58000 PSI; 50000 - 54000 PSI is the norm for the M1A. Usually it is recommended that the M1A not use bullets heavier than 168gr for regular use. Some people will use heavier bullets, I like 175s when I shoot long range, but be advised that these heavier bullets pound the rifle a lot harder and the rifle was not originally designed for them, in fact, the original bullet weight was in the range of 147 - 155 grains.

The mangled lead tips could loose chunks while the cartridges are being chambered and those chunks could get in to places that they shouldn't and cause complications, possibly stoppages (like the trigger mechanism). The only other issue that I can think of is this lead could break off in the barrel and foul it quicker, or worse yet, unevenly. Suppose that a chunk of lead breaks free as the bullet travels down the barrel. That lead chunk could smear along one area of the barrel and make that section of the barrel more heavily fouled than any other area. That would tend to push harder on the bullet in one spot vs. another and that will make the bullet rattle and bounce within the barrel. That variation can't be helping accuracy.

Of all the things I mentioned, my first concern would be the bullet weight, I would recommend not using the cartridges if they use the 180gr bullets. If they are lighter than that then I would be willing to use them but I wouldn't expect that they would have optimum precision.

· Retired Admin
I lost all my firearms in the Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
22,988 Posts
Welcome on board starbreaker, great site here with lots of info on our beloved M14. Post often and enjoy the site with your new rifle. Review the listing here on safe ammunition that has been manufactured for your rifle, unless your going to reload.DI5

· Registered
29 Posts
I'm fairly new to forum and the .308 as well. I am sticking with 165 for hunting and 168 for target practice. I have just purchased some federal fusion 165 (medium game), nosler custom partitions 165 (heavy game) and a box of the federal M1A 168. I am keeping the weights close to the same so I do not have to change my zero. I know bullet placement on target will be slightly different, but that should be minimal out from 300-400 yards. I'd rather change the punch of the bullet than my zero.

Any suggestions?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks for the welcomes, and for the advice.

@RAMMAC:
I'm using 150gr shots right now. I bought this ammo just to go to the range with this weekend to familiarize shooting the weapon. I'll probably pick up some match grade rounds soon. Of course I'll give it a good cleaning before I do so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.