M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my Scout in this week! I took it to the range to get it sighted in as soon as it was in my hands. I had a bulk order of 168 gr Federal Gold Medal Match that was on its way, but it didn't get here the same day my gun did so I just bought some 150 gr Fusion ammo since that's all they had. I wanted to see how it preformed unmodified, straight out of the box. I uploaded my 5 shot group sighting it in. 1st shot was too low, the 2nd hit but was low, and the last 3 were dead on. Not bad out of the box!

I am trying to make a DMR/Scout build out of this rifle and I have a few mods already installed on this since taking it to the range. The mods so far are...

1. Sadlak Industries- Airborne scope mount
2. Primary Arms- 4-14x44mm ACSS HUD DMR Reticle scope
3. Bradley Cheek Rest- Adjustable Chocolate Raptor Cheek rest
4. Hollands Gunsmithing- Holland's Signature Series Scope Level (Matte, 30mm)
5. Warne Scope Mounts- Maxima Quick Detach Rings (Low, Matte, 30mm)

All I have to say is wow... getting the damn pin out of the stripper clip guide was way more complicated than it should have been! I broke my punch trying to get it out and had to hit it the opposite way to finally get it to come out. With a lot more force than I wanted to hit a $1500+ gun! That was the most time consuming out of all of the mods so far.

The Sadlak Airborne mount was easy to install. After all the complications of removing the pin it was a relief that the mount was a quick add!

The Primary Arms scope is really nice I can't wait to test this out! It has a very nice picture and the red horseshoe with chevron is a nice touch for quick acquisition at closer ranges. I have been reading up on the hud reticle for this scope and it looks very promising for what I want to do for my Scout.

I wish the Bradley Cheek rest was a darker brown. I think it would look nice if it were the same color as the handguard. Even though it's not as dark as I want I still like the leather look to it compared to the others.

I think the Hollands Gunsmithing scope level looks really sleek with the nice contours to match the curves of the M1a. The matte finish goes well with the rest of the parkerized hardware.

The Warne QD scope rings are really nice too and make mounting and dismounting the Primary Arms scope a breeze. It also has a matte finish so it matches the rifle really well too.

I haven't been able to take it out to the range since adding all the mods, but I will be tomorrow so I will post pictures and let you all know how it goes!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You did remember to clean and grease it before you went down range, didn't you?
It had Lucas grease on the op rod and the channel the op rod travels, the inside of the receiver was greased as well. It was only 5 shots to sight it in at 100 yards. After I took it home and opened it up for the mods I greased and lubed everything.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's you thoughts on the primary arms scope?
I like it a lot! I got it out and shot some today at 75 and 100 yards. It's nice that you can turn the illumination on if you prefer a red dot type of effect for close range and fast acquisition or you can turn it off and see the horseshoe and chevron in the normal black like the rest of the reticle. It's meant to be zeroed at 100 yards then the rest is done for you on the reticle hold over points. The instructions manual goes into everything with great detail for the ranging numbers. The reticle is designed with the base load being 175 SMK ammo. It has a few charts for a few other 308 ammo as well. The 149 M80, 168 SMK, 168, 178, and 180 AMAX ammo is also included in the charts. I took some pictures of the charts that I will put in this post.

I really think the ACSS reticle is a great way to go for the DMR type of builds like I am going for. If the ACSS reticle is good enough for them to be put on ACOG scopes, they're good enough for me! I am a happy customer.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I like it a lot! I got it out and shot some today at 75 and 100 yards. It's nice that you can turn the illumination on if you prefer a red dot type of effect for close range and fast acquisition or you can turn it off and see the horseshoe and chevron in the normal black like the rest of the reticle. It's meant to be zeroed at 100 yards then the rest is done for you on the reticle hold over points. The instructions manual goes into everything with great detail for the ranging numbers. The reticle is designed with the base load being 175 SMK ammo. It has a few charts for a few other 308 ammo as well. The 149 M80, 168 SMK, 168, 178, and 180 AMAX ammo is also included in the charts. I took some pictures of the charts that I will put in this post.

I really think the ACSS reticle is a great way to go for the DMR type of builds like I am going for. If the ACSS reticle is good enough for them to be put on ACOG scopes, they're good enough for me! I am a happy customer.
I have been considering this scope to either replace my Leatherwood ART1000 on my national match or make my scout a similar set up like yours.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All I can say is from my experience and I have nothing but good things to say about it so far. I will give an update around the 6 month and year mark to give my thoughts on it after putting it through some longer trials

·
Premium Member
4,896 Posts
Nice --- I have been considering a scout but have not made the move yet

1 - 12 of 12 Posts