M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am new here, 1st post, i will register and log on soon here, just found the board, i hang out at arfcom, and snipershide, hello all...

I am in the market for an M1A, i had one years ago, so i am familiar with the operation of the rifle, i am wanting to know where to get the best deal on a rifle, what brand do i need to buy, and should i go used or new, i hear the springfields are stamped parts and a cast reciever.. is this an issue, i would like to have one that would be accurate, but i know it would not be up to par with my bolt 308's, where should i start?, new sa?, and what should be replaced?

if i did get a new sa, should i get the std, or the loaded deal, and what type of accuracy can be expected from the sa

can i shoot 308 instead of 762?, i think yes, let me know

if i load my own ammo for match can i use the 175 smk like in my bolt rigs, or will i be confined to lighter ammo like the 168 smk?

what would be the barrel twist on a new sa, and do i go stainless or chromoly, and will the chromoly barrel be chrome lined, give me the whole load here guys, i have been lurking all day, but have not found what i am looking for

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
avengeusa,

Welcome aboard!

For the best deal on M1A's, it depends on if you want to buy new or used. If you want new, go to www.impactguns.com they have pretty good prices. For used ones, check out the "STEALS and DEALS" section of this forum. I typically post all kinds of M1A related deals there...there are a bunch in there now for you to go through.

As for buying a Std or a Loaded....again it all depends on you. What are you going to use the rifle for? Just for plinking at the range or you're going to compete with it?

My recommendation is to buy an excellent condition SA M1A Standard to start off with...preferably preban and have all USGI parts. This is be better than the new SA Inc. M1A w/ all Cast Parts. Though the Cast Parts are mostly fine, but there is nothing like having an all USGI M1A. The USGI barrel will typically be chrome lined too...unless you get a NM barrel. I think the new SA Inc. M1A barrels are not chrome lined now.

Your other alternative is to buy a Polytech M14S or a Norinco, they are rougher in finish than the SA M1A's but they are price right! You can find the from $500-$800....take the rest of the $ you save on to buy extra USGI 20rd magazines, tool, ammo, etc.

Most M1A's you can expect 2" groups at 100yards if you do your part.

As for ammo, you can shoot both the commerical .308 and the Nato 7.62 in the SA M1A's. They are headspaced to take both. For the Chinese M14's, I'd stick to shooting NATO 7.62's.

For additional specifications...go to www.springfieldarmory.com to find out your barrel twist rates, etc.

Hope that answers most of your questions.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is there a place where i can find a serial number cutoff to determine the number range of the sa rifles with milspec parts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just want one that is safe to fire and can do near 1 moa, i plan to scope the rifle and develop a good load for it, just for fun, maybee some long range shooting, but i do not really want a full blown match gun or the 4000 dollar white feather sa deal, i want some cammo, and a gun that i will not be afraid to scratch, a chrome barrel is a really desireable thing, i spend a lot of time outdoors, and do a lot, very heavy shooting, my other guns get between 5-10 thousand rounds per year, mostly ar15 types, but i am a huge fan of the 308, and the M1a, i already have the fals in the closet, but i want something a little more american in the 30 cal

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha AvengeUSA:

I would imagine it would be best if you built your own. You know your rifles and know what you want... and a built rifle would suit your needs perfectly!

The fun part, aside from shooting it, is finding all the parts and having it built up. Then, making it look and shoot exactly the way you want!

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
I second that emotion. After completely building my springfield (including installing the barrel and headspacong the bolt) with all springfield USGI parts, I wouldn't part with it. It shoots better than I could even dream of. :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i was thinking of the loaded sa M1a with the match barrel, and trigger, then i know i might have to do other mods to get 1 moa out of it, maybee the gas system unitized , but what else would need to be done to get a 1 moa gun, even 1.25 might be good enough, i would like to have the ability to go to 1000 yards with it, and have some type of acceptable accuracy with it, but mostly for shooting less than 500

·
Registered
846 Posts
oh admit it avengeusa. you just want the scope to see the damage on those various appliances and vehicles at bulletfest next year :wink:

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
were you at the fest?, i was, and i got "rehooked" on the M1a, bricklayer from arfcom let me fondle, drool over, and fire his, and i am getting another now, he had a sa reciever, with all winchester parts, all snuggled down in the black synthetic stock, it shot niiiicccee

·
Registered
846 Posts
yeah we chatted for a while towards the end. i had been asked to play RO by campybob.

btw: i'm still cleaning guns from that day.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
are you the one i got on vidoe

"look ma" 8 years of college necer hurt me...

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
or were you the one in the chair to my right with the ak

·
Registered
846 Posts
no i was just walking around in the hat and vest. i had film and video camera in my hands. my tent was in the middle of the line.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh, i remember now, did you have fun?, and tell me this, how can someone clear the top of a 60 foot hill with a 30 cal, crazy wasn't it, yup, i killed many a dryer that day, it belonged to the one and only mother of bricklayer, eh lucy, yer dryer, she ain't looking so good....

·
Registered
846 Posts
my best guess is either someone was learning to bump fire and lost control. or.... someone was shooting at those fence posts at the top of the hill and missed. i had a great day there. which reminds me i gotta email bob.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts