M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

I just bought a "loaded standard" M1A today....so now I have that 10 day wainting.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :!: . My question is about barrel break-in is it necessary and if so what is the recommended procedure. Also what ammo and grain would recommend.
Thank you
Ez

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Welcome Aboard the Firing Line - EZ =D>

Glad you decided to join the crew of M14/M1A lovers here. Lots of good friendly folks hereabouts and I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice about your new "gal".

There are really two major opinions about breaking in a new barrel: the "shoot - clean - shoot - clean" folks and the "clean it really well - grease it up - then shoot it and have fun" folks. I'm one of the later crowd. It's really a matter of personal preference and either way, I don't believe it will make all that much difference to the rifle.

If we were talking about bench rifles, I would go with the recommended break-in procedure from the barrel maker or folks who have lots of experience with how to get the most out of a rifle in terms of accuracy and barrel life. Even a bunch of those folks don't recommend a meticulous shoot - clean - shoot - clean" regimen.

M1As are clones of battle rifles and not target guns. I think it's much more important to make sure everything is clean, tight, and well greased (they like grease - not oil) before you shoot it the first time. After that, just clean her up and make sure everything locks up good, it's well lubed and go shoot it some more. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As for ammo, here is a recent POLL on what types of ammo folks around here like. My favorites are Aussie and Portuguese surplus. Most of the gang shoot surplus, unless they are shooting HP matches. Most folks shoot a variety of different ammo until they find one that their rifle really likes before buying up a bunch to shoot up. :D

Hope this helps a little.

Pull up a chair and we'll set a place at the table for ya. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

db

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think breaking in a barrel is an absolute waste of time. Take it out, shoot however many rounds through it without trying to melt the barrel, take it home and clean it. Repeat as necessary. Having owned a large number of new rifles and having had a few re-barrelled, I never could see a difference when I broke one in and when I didn't.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Welcome!!!

Frist of all congrats on your new M1A! They are very well built rifles very simple to maintain & a heck of fun to shoot! I love this M1A so much that not even a few months have passed since my first M1A Loaded... I ended up buying another NIB USGI all H&R component M1A.8O

You'll find a wealth of info. here and some good & very experienced people who are not afraid to give a helping hand or advise. Like you I somewhat of a newbie to both the forum and the M1A and also bought my first M1A Loaded a few months ago and still trying to get familiar w/ the parts and components of what makes this fine rifle function and shoot effectively. Lastly also a resident of CA..

Re. the barrel break-in. I asked the same question as well and have to say that I'm just like fubar...Shoot the crap out of it and just clean the crap out of it after shooting it.

Post some pics when you get a chance...

Here's my Loaded
http://www.hunt101.com/img/143040.JPG

Good Luck!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Barrel break-in

Do you think the factory cleans the bore between each shot during the function tests? One of my new 'target' handguns was supplied with a signed 10-shot target. Just think of the time involved if they had to clean the bore after each shot. How many new guns do you think are produced in a day at each of the manufacturers? They'd need a crew of dozens just to clean guns between each shot!

OK, with that said, buy yourself a case of ammo, a good book on the M-14-type rifle and have a blast shooting the crap out of it! (the rifle, not the book :wink: )

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi everyone
Thank you so much for your hospitality :D :D :D :D I have found a wealth of info already here on this forum!! I just bought some surplus ammo from one of the links here Midway USA Australian 308 . Great price :D :D . Can't wait for the 28th to get my new baby!!!!
Say M1A4me that is a nice pic of your M1A!! what kind of scope mount do you have and scope?
Ez

·
Registered
151 Posts
dragracer440wedge said:
Hi everyone
Thank you so much for your hospitality :D :D :D :D I have found a wealth of info already here on this forum!! I just bought some surplus ammo from one of the links here Midway USA Australian 308 . Great price :D :D . Can't wait for the 28th to get my new baby!!!!
Say M1A4me that is a nice pic of your M1A!! what kind of scope mount do you have and scope?
Ez
Good choice on the Aussie ammo. Specially since fire season has officially started in CA a few months ago. Steell ball/core ammo are NOT ALLOWED in most ranges that I've been through. So I had to set aside my Protugees & So. African ammo til later this year and got a bunch of aussies to hold me through til then.

Thanks for the completments. These rifles are awork in process. Still trying to add/upgrade it w/ some USGI parts and also awaiting a Whamo Camo stock from SixTgunr.

The scope mount on there is a 3rd generation Spring Field mount. Last time I took it to the range, that mount kept on getting loose.:x I was told to try some locktight on the screws and hoping that it'll hold zero for this weekends range visit. If no go on the SA mount, I'm really considering the A.R.M.S #18 mount and #22 combo. I've heard lots of good things about them. Or maybe I'll just keep the SA mount on the loaded and get that A.R.M.S. for my upcoming NIB preban M1A w/ all H&R component that I bought 2 weeks ago.:p

7 more days and counting til you bring home your new baby! Congrats again!!! :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[
Good choice on the Aussie ammo. Specially since fire season has officially started in CA a few months ago. Steell ball/core ammo are NOT ALLOWED in most ranges that I've been through. So I had to set aside my Protugees & So. African ammo til later this year and got a bunch of aussies to hold me through til then.]

Say M1a4me that is what they told me when I was shooting my mini14 I was using Seller&Bellot .223 So now I'll have to wait until the colder/wet season to use them. What range do you shoot at? I shoot at the United Sportsman, Inc. range in Concord Ca. Can't wait for next Monday to get my new M1A :D :D :D :D :!: . Now I'm thinking about getting a M1 Grand....to keep company with the M1A in the gun safe :idea: :idea: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
151 Posts
dragracer440wedge said:
Say M1a4me that is what they told me when I was shooting my mini14 I was using Seller&Bellot .223 So now I'll have to wait until the colder/wet season to use them. What range do you shoot at? I shoot at the United Sportsman, Inc. range in Concord Ca. Can't wait for next Monday to get my new M1A :D :D :D :D :!: . Now I'm thinking about getting a M1 Grand....to keep company with the M1A in the gun safe :idea: :idea: :wink: :wink:
We have similar tastes. I have a Mini14 Ranch as well and enjoy shooting it. Trying to invest for a bull barrel for it but that's another project.

What I've gathered here in the boards are, take a magnet to the tip/bullet or projectile of your ammo and if it sticks, that's an indication that it's a steel ball round w/c is a NO, NO during fire season here in CA.

I usually go to Angeles Shooting range in Tujunga, A Place to Shoot in Saugus but recently moved to Azusa so I'll be shooting more regularly at Burro Cyn. I'm acutally going there this weekend w/ some friends. Ironically I've occationally bumped into a couple of members from m14-forum & batterifles.com last few times I was there. Small world!!!:D

Let me know if you decide to come down this part of town and if schedule permits me, we can go up to one of the local ranges and pop a few hundred rounds. :mrgreen:

M1Garand huh, you sound like me....... (hoooooked!!!) :wink:

Stay Safe!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
new M1A owner first range report

Just a report on my new M1A first time at the range on Monday...I am hooked this is an awsome rifle :D :D :D :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :!: :!: :!: :!:
hey M1A4me I also got my M1 Garand also :!: :!: :!:
Both of these rifles are fantastic just had to do a little elevation adj and I was in the black at 100 yrds :!: :!: :!: shot about 60rds for the first time boy my shoulder was sore :!: :!:
on my loaded standard M1A1 if I wanted to change the rear sight to the hooded match rifle sight what do I have to change :?: and also how often do you have to clean the gas system :?:
thank you
Ez

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Re: new M1A owner first range report

dragracer440wedge said:
on my loaded standard M1A1 if I wanted to change the rear sight to the hooded match rifle sight what do I have to change :?: and also how often do you have to clean the gas system :?:
thank you
Ez
The hooded aperature will fit in either a standard or a NM sight base. It usually comes oversized to allow you to fit it perfectly to the base (it will most likely require some work with a file).

I do the gas system at 300-500 rounds although it will probably run well past 1000rds without stopping. It just get's tougher to clean and is rougher on the gun as the gas piston fills up with carbon. Some folks clean the gas system every time.

Ty

·
Registered
151 Posts

dragracer440wedge said:
Just a report on my new M1A first time at the range on Monday...I am hooked this is an awsome rifle :D :D :D :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :!: :!: :!: :!:
hey M1A4me I also got my M1 Garand also :!: :!: :!:
Both of these rifles are fantastic just had to do a little elevation adj and I was in the black at 100 yrds :!: :!: :!: shot about 60rds for the first time boy my shoulder was sore :!: :!:
thank you
Ez
Glad to hear a satisfied M1A shooter!!! I'm surprised you only shot 60 rounds through her. My very first time w/ my Loaded, I shot an easy 300-400 rounds and wanted to shoot it some more.

dragracer44wedge, you're one ahead of me...I don't have a Garand (yet) but am willing to get one if I ran into a good deal.

Re. your question's, 30Cal. hit the nail right in the head.

The gas system I try to clean everytime after shooting it. I figured I'd get less problems knowing that all my components (specially moving parts) are clean.

BTW, I'll be pickin' up my NIB preban all H&R component M1A on Tuesday and will be taking her up that same Saturday!!! Now my Loaded has a Big Brother to play w/. :wink:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

[M1A4me wrote
Glad to hear a satisfied M1A shooter!!! I'm surprised you only shot 60 rounds through her. My very first time w/ my Loaded, I shot an easy 300-400 rounds and wanted to shoot it some more.

dragracer44wedge, you're one ahead of me...I don't have a Garand (yet) but am willing to get one if I ran into a good deal.

Re. your question's, 30Cal. hit the nail right in the head.

The gas system I try to clean everytime after shooting it. I figured I'd get less problems knowing that all my components (specially moving parts) are clean.

BTW, I'll be pickin' up my NIB preban all H&R component M1A on Tuesday and will be taking her up that same Saturday!!! Now my Loaded has a Big Brother to play w/. :wink:[/quote]

Hey M1A4me I know I only got a few rounds out :oops: I was just not use to the harder recoil and my shoulder was a little sore :oops: :oops:
I was just only used to 22lr and .223 cal rifles :) but just wait until this long weekend :!: :!: :wink: :wink: ...all that Australian ammo I got :!: :!: .....I am also thinking about gettin a SOCOM 16 :mrgreen:
I will also try to get the tools to do the gas system on MY M1A also

·
Registered
151 Posts

Hey M1A4me I know I only got a few rounds out :oops: I was just not use to the harder recoil and my shoulder was a little sore :oops: :oops:
I was just only used to 22lr and .223 cal rifles :) but just wait until this long weekend :!: :!: :wink: :wink: ...all that Australian ammo I got :!: :!: .....I am also thinking about gettin a SOCOM 16 :mrgreen:
I will also try to get the tools to do the gas system on MY M1A also
My bad on that...Didn't mean it the wrong way at all. Before any other rifle (besides a bb gun when I was a kid), the very first rifle I got was a 308 and always enjoyed shoting my buddy's 300 winmag so I'm a bit used to the 308's recoil before getting my 223's. I guess I worked my way from top to medium (since the 223REM is still considered and very well respected high caliber cartridge)

This weekend will also give me sometime to go out and pop a few hundred rounds. :D

Re. the SOCOM...I know what ya mean. I'm looking into a Scout or a SOCOM as well but am already waaaay behind financially since buying the NIB preban H&R M1A w/c I'm pickin' up on Tues.. :mrgreen:

Enjoy your 4th!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.