M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have the standard M1A scout, black composite stock. (or should I say, will be picking up this weekend in CA.) I want eventually get myself some sort of "reflex sight" something equivalent or perhaps a "trijicon" scope. I really don't know what I should start with first and wanted the communities opinion first.

Slings? GI original?

Buttstock cheek rest?

Bi pod? Definitely want this but which should I buy?
USN2

·
Registered
109 Posts
+1 Buelligan!

Welcome to the forum!

Bud

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Welcome from MN. Ammo, mags, and USGI spare parts are what I recommend.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
Welcome from Texas , Salzig Hund. I second ammo , you need to learn your rifle and what you can expect of it . A bulk pack of 500 rds of M80 can be had for around $350 , that would be a good start. Then pick up a sadlak operating spring guide, a few spare magazines, a few spare parts [bolt guts],and possibly a wood or USGI fiberglass stock. By the tine you've gotten those you'll have had enough time to research what's available and have a better idea what you may need. Good luck and BTW congratulations

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,631 Posts
Welcome aboard Salzig Hund, pull up an old ammunition crate and sit awhile. This here Gun Board is a great place for information on our beloved M14 Battlerifle and military surplus ammunition for feeding her. Again welcome aboard and have yourself a great week. Thank you for your service to our country, America is better off because of you.

DI5

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Welcome from West Virginia. As for an option of rear sight check out Burris Fast Fire II/III reflex type sight and there is a base** available that replaces rear sight components and fits perfectly between the "ears" of the sight base(easy to install or remove.) The Burris is very compact and with the base gives very good sight picture and fully adjustable and tough as well, actually looks like it was made for the rifle and obviously also fits on a Garand. Unfortunately the M1A/M14 does not lend itself readily to optics/scopes for once mounted your line of sight takes your cheek off the comb and to correct you will need a cheek piece/riser to get your eye lined up and with the Burris set up it is the same as looking through the issue sights and weights something like 2-3 ounces, big plus. As for a sling you would not go wrong with the basic GI cotton web sling for stout and easy to adjust and not expensive. I am not a fan of bi pods but I rarely shoot off a bench but find them a pain in the rear and for practical use they will catch on any branch/vine, etc. plus they add weight to the rifle. With correct use of the GI sling you can do some fine shooting. Congrats on your new rifle and build it up however you like it and "shoot it like you stole it."

** Believe the supplier of the base mentioned is known as "HOPCO"

·
Registered
252 Posts
Welcome from Illinois! I second the advise above, and would prioritize in the following order: ammo, magazines, USGI bolt guts, and USGI stock. Thats assuming you have a USGI type web sling with the rifle. If not, there are plenty of used and current production web slings out there which are reasonably priced.

It's your rifle, and you can do what you want with it. The guys here can really provide a lot of reviews on every configuration imaginable from stocks, optics, factory and surplus ammunition, handloads, parts, springs, etc.

Enjoy your new rifle sir!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts