M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a SA M1A standard, possible NM, at least the front sight, model that has never been fired. It was originally bought in 2011 and stored by the previous owner. I took it to the range and after a few FTF I realized the bolt wasn't going completely into battery. This was causing a light pin strike or no pin strike at all.

I tried 2 types of ammo, not reloads, 5 different new magazines all with the same results. About 50% of the time the bolt falls short of going into full battery. I have cleaned the chamber and bore several times and put about 60 rounds down range thinking it needed to be broken in but it's not getting any better.

I'm also letting the bolt fly and not guiding it. When it falls short I have to push the bolt slightly to get it to engage. It doesn't have this problem without the magazine and come to think of it I don't think it has this problem with an unloaded mag.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
First off are you cleaning with a rachete chamber brush? If not it could still be a dirty chamber. Do a tilt test, look up tony bens videos i your not familar with the test.

I those dont fix it i would venture a guess to a headspacing issue.

Is your rifle bedded? If not then you have a loaded model, not a nm. Sai has a no questions warrenty, if youre over your head just call em and ship it to them.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
With an empty rifle with no magazine installed. If you release the bolt stop and guide the bolt forward with your hand on the op rod until the bolt is about an inch short of going into battery and release the op-rod handle. Does the bolt fully close each and every time?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Try the tilt test. Remove the op rod spring and trigger group and then tilt the muzzle up and down slowly. The bolt should slide all the way to the rear when muzzle is up and all the way forward when muzzle is down.

Look for any interference, most likely where the barrel of the op rod mates with the op rod guide. Alternatively the op rod itself might be warped and the op rod tab (rearmost of op rod) might be binding in its rail.

·
Resident Rascal
13,503 Posts
If you're rifle fired, with out the bolt locked up, you've got a hell of a bad situation! Check these videos, clean and lube it correctly, then see if the problem remains. If it does then call Springfield to get a call tag.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tonyben3/videos

AND

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoZIK9ft_3U[/ame]

Reactions: Seventh Fleet

·
"Death From Above"
11,266 Posts
Kind of wonder how you are getting light fp strikes on the primers if its not going into battery. There is a part of the rifle called the safety bridge that is designed to prevent the fp from protruding out from the bolt unless it is in battery. Sounds like you have more than one thing going on with the rifle. This sounds like a classic problem for Gus Fisher. You may want to repost this in his subforum. One thing for sure, its not safe to shoot if you are getting fp strikes on the primer and its not going into full battery. That is a dangerous situation which can lead to an out of battery discharge that can explode you and your rifle. Not good my friend

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
2,141 Posts
My guess would be a short chamber...in any event stop using it until SAI has diagnosed it properly

Reactions: 82nd ABN

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I think the bolt is not locked completely down. Clean the chamber really well with the ratchet brush and try it again. I've actually watched what you describe happen. As the hammer falls it drives the bolt on into battery and you get a slight dimple on the primer. Sometimes it's a chamber problem, sometimes it's dirt.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Check for damage on the top left edge of the extractor and where it mates to the barrel. It's common to see some wear there, but it shouldn't stop the bolt from seating. You should be able to detect the interference if you seat the bolt by hand (no op rod spring).

·
Registered
365 Posts
You bought the gun from someone who had never fired it. Then you took it to the range and tried to shoot it, but had issues.

At the risk of asking the obvious, did you clean it before taking it out to shoot?

If you didn't, you need to. Watch Tony Ben's video. Disassemble it enought to remove the bolt. Clean all the old oil and grease off. Rod it out of course. Lubricate it with oil in the barrell, and grease in all the sliding parts and the bolt roller.

I think if you do that, there's a good chance it will solve your problem.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I'm also letting the bolt fly and not guiding it. When it falls short I have to push the bolt slightly to get it to engage. It doesn't have this problem without the magazine and come to think of it I don't think it has this problem with an unloaded mag.

Any suggestions?
=========================
If the bolt can be fully closed by 'push slightly' on the oprod, then my guess is the the round is being fed into the chamber at a bad angle and is somehow 'jamming in the chamber' before the bolt can fully close.

What type of ammo are you using?
The rifle is designed to work with 'spire point' copper jacket bullets - pointed FMJ, or jacketed HPBT.

If you are using a round-nose bullet, or some sort of soft point bullet, that might be the trouble.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
762 Posts
You bought the gun from someone who had never fired it. Then you took it to the range and tried to shoot it, but had issues.

At the risk of asking the obvious, did you clean it before taking it out to shoot?
Seriously. I made that mistake only ONCE with my wifes handgun. Malfunction city. Cleaned it, and it ran smooth as glass.

No matter what brand new firearm it is, always clean it before shooting. If the original owner never fired it, then yeah, that could be at least once source of the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just need to strip it down and tw25 grease the damn thing.. i have had 2 sai's and one fulton where the bolt would hang slightly when new, out of the box.. unless that situation is addressed, you are asking for an out of breach discharge, and if you are lucky enough to survive that, it will at least be an expensive loss... mangled wood and metal..... never shoot a new (or stored) m1a without completely field stripping it, solvent clean it, and greasing it.. it should work smooth after that.. be real safe!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With an empty rifle with no magazine installed. If you release the bolt stop and guide the bolt forward with your hand on the op rod until the bolt is about an inch short of going into battery and release the op-rod handle. Does the bolt fully close each and every time?
Yes, every time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kind of wonder how you are getting light fp strikes on the primers if its not going into battery. There is a part of the rifle called the safety bridge that is designed to prevent the fp from protruding out from the bolt unless it is in battery. Sounds like you have more than one thing going on with the rifle. This sounds like a classic problem for Gus Fisher. You may want to repost this in his subforum. One thing for sure, its not safe to shoot if you are getting fp strikes on the primer and its not going into full battery. That is a dangerous situation which can lead to an out of battery discharge that can explode you and your rifle. Not good my friend
To be honest, I don't know if it was in battery when I got the light pin strikes. It hasn't happened after I noticed it wasn't going into battery because I manually push it the rest of the way in. Thanks, I will re post it in Mr. Fisher's sub forum.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had the same problem the first time I took my new M1A Scout out. It's a really awful feeling when you pull that trigger for the first time and nothing happens USN3. If I gave the bolt an extra little push when chambering the first round, it was fine.

Turned out I didn't know how much grease these babies actually need. Took it home, bought some new grease and applied liberally, haven't had the problem since.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts