M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased myself an M1A NM SS barrel etc etc.. I want to mount a scope on her for long range shooting. (i.e past 800 yards.) I have looked into a few of the options at hand and seen the McCann pop up several times, the Sadlak and a few others. I would be curious on the input. Keep in mind that the money I can put towards my M1A is whatever I can save from my G.I bill eating ramen. I'm also looking at putting the Nikon buckmaster 4.5-14X40 Mildot on there. Any suggestions on that would be appreciated as well. I have heard of issues with the USGI specs not fitting and needing a custom fit.. I hope that isn't the case.

·
Super Moderator
11,514 Posts
On a budget; I'd go with the Bassett picatinny low mount with a cheek riser.

Money is no object: Sadlak, ARMS or SEI.

The Bassett is a good mount that won't shoot loose so don't discount it because it's cheaper. For a more permanent method, I would suggest the later 3 in that order. I would love a Sadlak Airborne or Titanium mount, but they are really pricey.

Tony.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with the first two, hear of SEI but with no experience. Have you heard/ had experience with the McCann? I've heard nothing but good things. Some of the AMU guys have them. Obviously they can't be too terrible.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I'm with tonyben; Bassett low picatinny mount with a cheek riser. Check out the TacPro cheek rest for the m14; I have one on my Scout and I really like it.

http://tacpro.com/product_info.php?products_id=19

http://www.bassettmachine.com/prod_home_buynow.htm

It also works very well on the low setting with the iron sights. The Nikon Buckmaster scopes are, IMO, are good deal for the money. I have mostly Leupold scopes, but the two Nikon scopes I do have were well worth the money I paid for them; I would not recommend going below the Buckmaster line though.

Here are some pics of my scout with a Bassett Low Picatinny and a Vortex Viper PST 1-4 in Vortex low matched mounts:

BTW: Are you a TAMU student?

Reactions: tonyben

·
Registered
207 Posts
From experience -
"Buy once. Cry once."

Ramen noodles really aren't too bad, if you use Tobasco!!GI3
Peanut Butter and Jelly on the weekends. (Gotta have the protein!)

Sadlak Industries Steel mount, with Leupold MKIV rings and Nikon BuckMasters 4.5-14x40mm scope sit atop my beloved M1A.

The Nikon Monarch scope is really good, too.
Heck, I've got a BUNCH of Nikon scopes riding on top of everything from blackpowder rifles, to 870 slug guns, to a lever action .45-70!! (The Nikon ProStaff is a really good scope!! The 2-7x32mm is great on the aforementioned weapons.)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Cobra, Well. My cap is really only dependent on how long I choose to save. Although my willingness to spend is another story. I don't feel that spending 250+ on a scope mount is acceptable. I understand that you get what you pay for but having to pay 1/5 of my rifles cost for a scope mount? I guess I just look at things differently than some. As far as scopes go, the reason for my interest in a buckmaster is I have a friend here who allowed me the privilege of shooting his modded R700. Showed him what to do with his BDC at 400 yards. It's also something I can afford sooner rather than later for hunting season.

@BY Scoped blackpowder? I've seen some strange things uncovered in weapons caches but this is interesting. Pictures by chance?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sitting down and using the calculator, I have about.. 400 right now.. And as soon as I sell my kayak I should have another 450, of that I can spend about 2-300.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I am indeed a TAMU Student! Also, if any of the suggestions matter, I'm a lefty.
Excellent! Spent 5 years there myself; Class of '90, Squadron 7...WHOOP!

bfy43 is absolutely right: "buy once cry once". Do not give in to the temptation to buy a cheap optic, it will only cause you grief later. The only problem I have had with my Bassett was operator induced. I did not properly clean the mounting threads on the gun or mount, they must not have ANY oil or grease on them, and the mount came loose. No problems since I figured that out. In fact, I am considering ordering another one for the second M1A that will probably "hatch" from my 1st one sometime in the next 6 months; they tend to multiply you know.

The Nikon Buckmasters will serve you well for many years. For quality yet inexpensive mounts take a look at the Burris Extreme Tactical mounts. http://www.burrisoptics.com/xtrrings.html

As far as being left handed, I can't help you there; hopefully someone else will chime in.
Have fun with that M1A! Gigem

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WHOOP! Yeah I was in D co for awhile then Mays told me the corp or them. I went with Mays. So far my decision sits with this.

Nikon Buckmaster MILDOT- 272.11
Burris XTR low profile rings- 52.37
McCann Industries Mount - 184.95 (15.00 shipping.)

Totaling 509.43, and I assume that's before taxes. Any thoughts and or objections?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
You are going to need a cheek riser as well, especially with the McCann mount, it sits pretty high. I took a look at it at http://www.mccannindustries.com/m1a1.htm . It is an interesting mount and there seems to be a lot of good info for mounting a scope on an M14 on that web sight, but as I mentioned before, I have no personal experience with one. To get a proper cheek weld, so you can shoot consistently from shot to shot, you will absolutely need a cheek riser so add that to the list. I tried using my set up without a riser once, and only once. I could tell that I was unable to get my cheek and eye in the same position each time and it negatively affected my groups. The TacPro I have can easily be installed with a hand held drill but there are many other options to look at none of which I have ever used.

You know you pics and a range report are going to be required at some point in the future.

Gig'em

·
Registered
207 Posts
@Cobra, Well. My cap is really only dependent on how long I choose to save. Although my willingness to spend is another story. I don't feel that spending 250+ on a scope mount is acceptable. I understand that you get what you pay for but having to pay 1/5 of my rifles cost for a scope mount? I guess I just look at things differently than some. As far as scopes go, the reason for my interest in a buckmaster is I have a friend here who allowed me the privilege of shooting his modded R700. Showed him what to do with his BDC at 400 yards. It's also something I can afford sooner rather than later for hunting season.

@BY Scoped blackpowder? I've seen some strange things uncovered in weapons caches but this is interesting. Pictures by chance?
Absolutely, a scoped b/p rifle!!
Thompson Center "Triumph"!! .50 caliber.
I won this fantastic muzzle-loader in a raffle. My youngest son bought the TC mount/rings for me, for a Christmas present, and I put a Nikon ProStaff 2-7x32mm scope on it.
I don't have any pics of it, but, I'll try to take a snapshot of it and post it up, later today.

I also won a TC "Omega" and have the same mount/rings, but haven't mounted them or the Nikon ProStaff 2-7x32mm scope on it, yet.

That ProStaff scope is incredibly bright and allows us to hunt right up to the end of legal shooting/hunting time.
(My 15 year old son says that this rifle "is his". Ha! He's such a comedian!!) I MIGHT leave it to him, in my Will. Maybe.

With my old eyes. . . If I could find a mount for it, I'd put a scope on my TC "Tree Hawk" with it's short, little 21" barrel!!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fantastic! I hope that you get around to a photo op. RNGR1 I Scoped (haha) Amazon for awhile.. watched the price on a Buckmaster dip to the 270 mark from 299, snagged that about 10 minutes ago, along with the Burris lowpro rings. Now as soon as I sell this kayak off... I'll buy the McCann scope mount and the ensemble shall be complete. Cannot wait. DI5

EDIT: Forgot to add that as I don't want to drill into my stock I'll probably be going with this bad boy. http://www.tnvc.com/shop/tnvc-rsp-mod-0/ In Coyote more than likely.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would highly suggest looking for a SEI Weaver style mount. They can be had for <$150 if you can find one for sale. While they don't have the Pic rail, they will work with TPS Weaver rings which are solid and inexpensive.

Class of '99 here. Also, in case you aren't already there, head over to Texags.com and visit the Outdoors Board. Several M-14 guys there as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.