M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently posted about my new M1A National Match and the load I happened to have on hand was one I used in my PTR-91f rifle and it was not cycling fully. Today I decided to tailor a load to the M1A using a different powder. Previous load was LC surplus brass with 43 GR AA2460 Federal 210 primer with 150 gr Hornady SP bullets. In the PTR it had clocked 2691 fps and today I clocked it in the M1A with a much longer tube at 2828 fps 3 shot avg. This load failed to fully cycle every time bar none. Today I decided to go with a load I had used in a bolt rifle in the past using RP commercial brass, the same Fed primer, the same Hornady bullet, but using 44.7 gr of H4895. These functioned flawlessly every time even though they only averaged slightly faster than the other load at 2850 fps. Both the commercial brass and the LC were once fired but the RP had a nice polish to it where the LC had been rattling around in a box for awhile (dated '04 I think) and was definitely looking a little cruddy. I had run them through some dry walnut shell media just to clean them up a bit but never got around to adding a polishing treatment to the mix. I am thinking that the less than polished exterior may have contributed to the surplus brass being stickier in the chamber and had I loaded to the same pressure with the same powder in the RP polished brass I probably would have achieved good function. The new load also came in slightly more accurate at 1 3/4" 100 yard 3 shot group although that is subjective due to lighting conditions and such through the irons. Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
The M14 is Picky with powders. No surprise that H-4895 worked perfect. Stick with H-4895 IMR4895 IMR 3031 and IMR 4064 you won't have any problems with those.

One question you do use a LE wilson or Dillon Headspace gauge to check your hand loads in correct?

Reactions: tonyben

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The M14 is Picky with powders. No surprise that H-4895 worked perfect. Stick with H-4895 IMR4895 IMR 3031 and IMR 4064 you won't have any problems with those.

One question you do use a LE wilson or Dillon Headspace gauge to check your hand loads in correct?
I have never used one before but it is on my list of must haves for this rifle. I learned with semi auto handgun loading that things need to be done to a higher standard to achieve perfect function and with this being somewhat of a target rifle I want to start using one.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
44.7 H4895 and a 150, finally someone who loads like hairy chested man instead of the 42 grain pipsqueak loads I see.

How do you size your cases? And what length do you trim to?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
44.7 H4895 and a 150, finally someone who loads like hairy chested man instead of the 42 grain pipsqueak loads I see.

How do you size your cases? And what length do you trim to?
Small base die set FL sized, 2.015" only when necessary. They included the headspace measurement in the paperwork with the rifle but I haven't got around to determining how to incorporate that figure into my loading effort yet.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Maybe bump the shoulder more, I trim to 2.0" too would never let them get 2.015". Dirty cases could possibly make them sticky but it would have to be crud you could feel with your hands and not just a lack of brassy-shine.

AA2460 is fine for the M1A BTW

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe bump the shoulder more, I trim to 2.0" too would never let them get 2.015". Dirty cases could possibly make them sticky but it would have to be crud you could feel with your hands and not just a lack of brassy-shine.

AA2460 is fine for the M1A BTW
Oops, going off the top of my head but I actually trim to 2.005" but only after they get to 2.015" max length.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts